Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A warning to those with non-functional hood scoops...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A warning to those with non-functional hood scoops...

roflmao.

+1 to Mike.

It seems if you don't take it off it should be fine.
Especially if you have a roush scoop, If Jack Roush is good with them on all of his cars, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have a xenon or any kind of aftermarketscoop it might be a different story, but seriously... plenty of people have done roush scoops without a problem.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

I'm still in the "Less Is More" camp when it comes to faux stuff. A hood scoop that doesn't scoop, brake ducts that don't duct, wings that don't fly. I'm even wondering about that big ol' chrome escutcheon that they put on there to decorate the trunk key-hole! All that stuff seems a little bling-y to me.

On the other hand, I like to see others' cars with those things on them. Who knows, maybe one day I'll see something I like! Plus which, it lets me feel a little superior to someone. I need that, too, from time to time.

Yes, I have a CDC Classic chin-spoiler and a little rubber lip at the back edge of the trunk lid. They are functional, I swear! Too late on the black tail-light surrounds. They just finish what the factory started ...
Old 03-22-2008, 05:09 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Anytime.

Whenever you think of doing something to your car.. make sure you let me know about it first.

ORIGINAL: rogan01

Mike,

Thanks - but this is a WARNING from the OP AND Sandman about non-functional hood scoops (i.e. - the Roush). I paid about $300 for a painted scoop from Roush and now I have to basically throw it out based on the OP's experience - I was going to install it next week!. That's $300 down the drain! I thought of selling this on ebay but I would not feel right selling someone else my problems - even for $200 + shipping - which is much less than I paid.

No more wasted $ on mods for me - especially these non-functional hood scoops like the Roush. Seems like they are not worth the trouble as the OP says. Glad I read this before making a big mistake! I am very inexperienced so this means a lot to me. Thanks Sandman and Dave!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: rogan01

Mike,

Thanks - but this is a WARNING from the OP AND Sandman about non-functional hood scoops (i.e. - the Roush). I paid about $300 for a painted scoop from Roush and now I have to basically throw it out based on the OP's experience - I was going to install it next week!. That's $300 down the drain! I thought of selling this on ebay but I would not feel right selling someone else my problems - even for $200 + shipping - which is much less than I paid.

No more wasted $ on mods for me - especially these non-functional hood scoops like the Roush. Seems like they are not worth the trouble as the OP says. Glad I read this before making a big mistake! I am very inexperienced so this means a lot to me. Thanks Sandman and Dave!!!
So let me get this right Mr. Rogan01.
After all the time and effort and 100s of PMs as to the
proper install methods for the Roush scoop, you ditch
the idea because of someones post about their problems
removing it?
Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Heat gun will take care of any adhesive tape.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

id rather have funtional stuff...not that the non functional doesnt look good......but for an example for me ....rather than get a hood scoop ...id get a new hood with actual vents then cut and put a shaker in.....
Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phunnyguy

id rather have funtional stuff...not that the non functional doesnt look good......but for an example for me ....rather than get a hood scoop ...id get a new hood with actual vents then cut and put a shaker in.....
I agree. I like the way the hood scoops look, just not a fan of it "looking good" without any purpose.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

Like stripes and personalized plates.......those are REALLY functional. If you like the way the damn scoop looks then put it on. I happen to love the way it looks on mine and I don't plan on changing my mind tomorrow and prying it off.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:32 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteHorse94

Like stripes and personalized plates.......those are REALLY functional. If you like the way the damn scoop looks then put it on. I happen to love the way it looks on mine and I don't plan on changing my mind tomorrow and prying it off.
True, but the stripes were part of the package and it does have a candy like eye appeal, therefore it has a function.
If mine came with the hood scoop, I would leave it on, but since it didn't I would much rather have one that works.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

woah woah slow down there... i said i woulndt necessarily add it...now if it came with it.....id not change a thing......for example on a cs or s shelby roush ....take your pick.....like i said i like em i see many that look pretty darn cool with the way they were done....if my car came with any of that stuff i would not remove it..... no doubt...... i like em but i like em on others peoples cars....does that make sense?

Quick Reply: A warning to those with non-functional hood scoops...