Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

posi/lsd/locker?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: posi/lsd/locker?

ORIGINAL: algregory

I don't know the name of it, Quaff, I think. But I have a really "brainy" friend, likes to spend money. Unlike me, I don't have money. []

However, he as had that differential installed on several cars. Instead of gears and clutches or what ever in the rear end, this rear end has conical type gears, so you have like three pryamids in there each with "ramps" running aroud their circumference. Strickly mecanical, and any slippage of one tire is immeadiatly giving the tire with traction the command. He lives in the mountains and corners, rain, whatever, he's got traction if there is traction surface to be had by either wheel. Instantly, seamlessly.
This is an auburn differential that you describe. They are made as a replacement for the ford t lock. They are much more durable and can engage immediatly because it has no clutchs that have to warm up.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:06 AM
n4ggs
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: posi/lsd/locker?

ORIGINAL: sam_abuelsamid

ORIGINAL: n4ggs

thank you for sharing your expertise. if i understand you correctly, the mustang effectivly has a lsd while the traction control is on, the systems are integrated. Would this type of torque transfering work as well as a quaffie while putting power down exiting a corner (the inside wheel having a smalled distance to travel)? or is it most effective in a straight line?
The TC does provide lsd type functionality, however if I was not clear, there is also a mechanical lsd. The TC does work just as well in cornering as it does in a straight line. The Quaife http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm operates on basically the same principal as a torsen diff. They work very well and in combination with tc, the tc would probably activate a lot less often in side to side torque transfer mode. Whether it would be better or not I couldn't tell you, since I haven't personally tested such a setup. Most likely it wouldn't be radically different in normal day to day driving. Where you might see a difference is if you are going to be drag racing and you turn off the tc (there is a tc disable switch on the dash). In this case the diff would still function, and much more effectively than the standard diff. The same also applies to a torsen or some of the other higher end limited slip or locking diffs.
thank you. that is exactally what i was asking for.