Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Rotating Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Default Best Rotating Kit

I have a 06 S281E. After some unforseen circumstances I have to take the motor apart. Since the motor will be opened up I would like to upgrade the rotating kit. I plan on making some big power numbers with my Saleen SC or twin turbo setup. I was looking at the Livernois Motorsports website and love the 298ci kit. Just not sure if thats going to be enough. Final goal is to make 1000RWHP. What would you guys recommend? Anything else I should consider upgrading?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: Best Rotating Kit

The tranny for sure, if you haven't already done so.
The rear axle too, once you reach 1000hp.

Also, everything that has to do with traction...

Modaddict should be able to help you if he chime in.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
ndgoalie35
2nd Gear Member

You're not going to be able to get 1,000RWHP with the Saleen supercharger.It is limitedby its boost output.A twin turbo will probably be your best bet. If you want a twin turbo setup check out MMR (Modular Mustang Racing). They make special rotating assemblies, cams, and everything else you need to get extreme horsepower numbers with a turbo. With that much power, you will probably have to upgrade everything. It would probably be good to call Saleen and ask what power levels their rear end and transmission can handle. You will probably have to replace the transmission, driveshaft, clutch, and rear end. I would also upgrade the suspension. I've been reading about Griggs Racing and their road racing setups. Although the kit runs around $15,000, it would probably be the best suspension for your setup if youwant to drive it on the street and track. I would also ditch the Saleen wheels and get the widest wheel/tire setup possible, so long as it doesn't stick out too far past the fenders.

This is what I would do to make the above horsepower safely. The main limitation for this horsepower figure I see is the engine. Even with a 5.0 stroker, I don't know if 1,000 horsepower is attainable. I've read an article of a mustang with a dropped in 400cid Windsor and a Procharger F1A running 15psi only putting out 870 hp. Here's the article below. Hope the above helps you out.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ang/index.html
Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 PM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S281 E

Final goal is to make 1000RWHP. ... Anything else I should consider upgrading?
Seriously? That's wicked power and I'm no rocket scientist but from my understanding you will have to replace or upgrade just about everything in the drive train. Also from reading it seems that you will have problems hitting that number becuase of a lot of factors like incoming air flow restrictions even though your engine may be stronge enough.

granted I don't know you or know what you have planned for this car but that goal seems high. You may want to lower it to like 600rwhp and when raise it once you hit it and just keep going that way... unless you just want to dump a butt load of money into it, in which case you should talk to mod addict and st motorsports.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply guys. Keep them coming. I figured I would have to upgrade almost everything. I don't think I will hit a 1000RWHP but I would like to get as close as possible. As for the Saleen blower I think the best I can do is 650RWHP. So I know I will upgrde to a twin turbo setup. I figured since the motor will be out I might as well start with a nice rotating assembly. I will give modular mustangs racing a call Monday.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:23 AM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

i have the 298 from livernois. hands down its real nice. its rated to 1000+hp u will be ok.
most of the kits u will find are made out of pretty much same brands and specs. the livernois kit
comes balanced, the pistons are coated and its just awsome.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

You should shoot for 750hp... More rational of a number, and nothing on the street will touch you, and few things at the track.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

TRhanks for the feedback on the livernois motorsports kit. Right now its between the livernios and VT engine 4.6L Billit assembly kit. How do diamond pistons match up against manley pistons?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

S281, both pistons are good. The one thing we do not like about them is they are heavy pistons compared to others. We use mainly Probe on most of our builds, with great sucess. We ar also working with CP right now on some new designs. This is where it really comes down to, the design of the piston.

Casey
Old 03-23-2008, 01:23 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure the S281E already has had the crank and rods and pistons replaced.. No?

Now the S302E.. THERE's a car.. 620 HP outta the box.. WHOA!

LOL

281E is still a wicked cool machine though. Just my $.02, but if I was planning on doing something like that, I'd probably buy a GT and do it to that. Modifying that S281E is going to devalue the car MUCH more than doing that to a GT would..

As always, YMMV.

Quick Reply: Best Rotating Kit