Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Release How-To

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:03 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default Trunk Release How-To

I've read a few posts on asking where the trunk release button is, or how to release the trunk, and the only answers were to use the keyfob trunk button, or to use the key...

I just finished installing a trunk release button. I actually wasn't planning on installing the release button, but I installed a nitrous system, and the button looked very conspicious, and wouldn't be easily removed if I needed to take it back to the dealer for warranty work, and it would leave quite a big hole... so I thought, and decided to use the button for a trunk release (most of the time), and by pulling the panel out and swapping two wires, it is also my nitrous button... which also means I can't accidentally arm my nitrous...

The button is located in the storage compartment between the seats... there is a little panel that I figured would be pretty cheap to replace if I did end up destroying it... I put my button in that panel... luckly, right next to the panel is a 12V power souce, so I was able to easily acquire power.

Anyhow, it's actually quite simple... You pull bottom of your rear seat up (two clips one on each side, push them in, and pull the seat up...) on the passenger side, there are a bunch of wires, all taped together... you are looking for the pink wire... You want to splice another wire into this one, and run it carefully along the floor, so as not to allow the seat to pinch it once it is back in place... run this wire under the carpet and under the center console... you have to remove the two bolts in the bottom of the storage container, under the little piece of carpet... and up through that little hole where the panel is... it was kinda a pain in the a$$ to run the wire...

Then just run a lead off the hot wire on the power outlet to a lead on a momentary pushbutton switch, and the other end of the switch to the lead you just ran in from the rear seat... you should prolly also wire in a fuse (which I did) off the power line, just in case of a short... then replace the back seat and bolt the console back down...

there you go, automatic trunk release button...

you might want to use a multimeter to make sure that the pink wire is the right wire on your car... I have the V6 convertible, but it may be different on other cars... just use the red wire on the multimeter to push into the pink wire, and ground the black wire... hit the trunk release button on your keyfob, and if the voltage goes up for a second, you have the right wire...
Old 06-18-2007, 05:16 PM
fjohnson

Default RE: Trunk Release How-To

Thanks for the thread, just what I needed.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Very nice! I put my sub kill switch on that little panel and I love the looks of it there. I thought the same thing as you "looks cheap to replace if I really screw it up."
Old 06-18-2007, 08:51 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

And thene the SJB died because of miswiring.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the 06 stang?
Do you know what you just did? Do you fully
understand the trunk release circuit? Its a little
more complicated than just hooking to the pink
wire. Did you use any PIV protection?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

The only problem with putting the trunk release switch in the center console is that it does not lock. Having a convertible, the trunk is the only safe place to store things when the top is down. IF you put the trunk releasse in the center console, anyone can open it.

I chose to put the trunk release buttong in the glove compartment. This way I can lock the glove compartment and not worry about anyone opening my trunk.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Wire up the switch to power only with key on and
the need to hide the trunk release button goes away.
I mean whats different than having to unlock the
glove box to pop the trunk and putting the key into
the ignition? And removing the rear seat to get at
the wiring? Whats wrong with picking up the wire
at the SJB instead of under the rear seat? Dont
make it any harder than it already is.[:@]
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Most of the time when I use the trunk release button, I don't have my keys with me. It's been a real life saver. For example, a lot of times I'll be in the garage and my keys will be in the house. I'll need to put something inor take something out of the trunk and the trunk release button has come to the rescue. Another time, I was cleaning up at a car show and threw my jacket in the trunk with the keys in the pocket. Having a convertible,the only way to get inthe trunk is with the ley fob or the trunk key. Without the trunk release button, I would have been screwed.

Having to have the ignition on to use the trunk release defeats the purpose of having the trunk release button.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i guess the only way to make everyone happy, is to
have 3 dip switches (representing a binary number
between 0 and 7) and a push button to activate the
trunk release, if the proper "code" is present.....

an alarm would sound if the wrong code is tried more than
once....

Quick Reply: Trunk Release How-To