Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wide band A/F - must buy or eye candy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: wide band A/F - must buy or eye candy

Have to agree with Scott on this. Once you go very far outside of the OE tune, you're at least partly on your own as far as reliability and consequential damage is concerned. I can't imagine trying to stay on top of things without some way of knowing, measuring, or at least indirectly being able to estimate the actual A/F in approximately real-time at least for the duration of some testing period. Don't know if OBD II would be much enough help other than to warn of the existence of a problem.

FWIW, I've done a little calibration via a laptop with calibration software of a retrofit aftermarket multiport EFI system.

Norm
Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I think the wideband gauge is a good tool for tuning, but once your car is tunned,as long as everthing is funcioning properly, the gauge is pure eye candy, and not very aesthetically pleasing eye candy. I have an Autometer wideband in my other car and regret buying it. It was great while I was dialling in the tune, but once I was done tuning, it's just annoying flashing lights with a bright number in the middle.

In the Mustang I chose to go with a pyrometer instead. It's about half the cost and much more aesthetically pleasing IMO. I prefera sweeping gauge to a digital gauge. While I can't get an exact AFR from the pyro, I can tell if I'm running rich or lean, and I can tell when I'm pushing the danger zone, and need to check something, change something, or just back off the throttle. I may still get a wideband for the Mustang, but it will either be the WEGOIII mounted in the glovebox or center console, or the Innovate LM-1 handheld. I will only use it when tuning.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

I'm not talking complete cylinder failure when I mention losing a plug. If your plug is crapping out on you and not firing hot enough, you won't usually feel it, especially while driving. That however, changes the ratio! Nobody mentioned all possible points of failure, just A/F Ratio and running lean, which can happen even with a good tune! Other things besides the tune can cause it. Like I said, you may as well have a digital clock beside the pressure gauge. You'll get just as much information! Your analogy is kind of like saying the Tire Pressure Monotoring System will tell you the condition of your tires. Just curious, where in your fuel system is yur gauge sender located? At the fuel rails?
Well known custom dyno tuners such as Adam at ST Motorsports(one of the best in the country) even recommend the A/F gauge over a pressure gauge. It's not just my opinion.
I never said it was just your opinion or that an A/F ratio gauge is a bad idea. It's worth noting how many well known and reputable vendors sell supercharger kits without an A/F gauge included. The original poster asked if it was a "must buy" or not. I'll say it one more time: it's absolutely not necessary. Get yourself a good solid tune and you'll be fine without any additional gauges. I decided to go with the pressure gauge to cover what I see as the most likely source of trouble. Was it necessary? Absolutely not. And neither is the A/F gauge. Which you would seem to agree with as you said it's recommended by dyno tuners. Recommended, not a must buy.

So what are you arguing with me about again? It sure doesn't appear to be related to what the original poster was asking about.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I opted for bigger injectors instead of the gauges. Now i know we got enough fuel instead of knowing when I'll fail. 60# injectors FTMFW
Old 03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

I opted for bigger injectors instead of the gauges. Now i know we got enough fuel instead of knowing when I'll fail. 60# injectors FTMFW
LOL!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:35 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Not to be cute but it is redundant. If you have a good tune and a f/p gauge what will fail? a) either the f/p gauge itself
b) the fuel pumps or a fuel pump or c) your injectors. The widebands are usefull but they aren't fool proof. Are they needed? No. Recommended? Yes if you haven't been dynoed or don't have a clue what your car has really been tuned for. We went with injectors for that reason..After a dyno showed we were too lean passed 6k at woot. The bigger injecters were in and for S&G we dyno'd it again.. Problem solved. Buy a $300+ gauge or buy $400 injectors you tell me...
Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Wideband O2 sensors should be calibrated in free air once a month. What good is a reading when its false as the sensor moves out of spec? Even if you do calibrate in free air consistently, the sensor still degrades over time (and its not a really long time when used for constant monitoring). To me, its a potentially false security blanket. Forced Induction cars existed for a long time before Wideband O2 sensors even existed, let alone becoming available to the common car nut.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Not to be cute but it is redundant. If you have a good tune and a f/p gauge what will fail? a) either the f/p gauge itself
b) the fuel pumps or a fuel pump or c) your injectors. The widebands are usefull but they aren't fool proof. Are they needed? No. Recommended? Yes if you haven't been dynoed or don't have a clue what your car has really been tuned for. We went with injectors for that reason..After a dyno showed we were too lean passed 6k at woot. The bigger injecters were in and for S&G we dyno'd it again.. Problem solved. Buy a $300+ gauge or buy $400 injectors you tell me...
No man, I hear ya. It was just funny with the "FTMFW." I personally don't think the A/F gauge is any replacement for your injectors, or the ones I'm putting in my DOHC 4.6 for that matter.

But whatever. I've said my peace and I'm done with this debate.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

A/F Gauge and Injectors FTMFW. If you are running lean before you opt for the bigger injectors the injectors are now a must. But say you are driving at WOT and a gasket on the intake side fails on you and is now unmetered air. You now have a lean condition with no problems on the fuel side. Your fuel pressure will still remain good. Your A/F gauge will most likely peg leanthough and a smart person would let off the throttle to avoid any detonation. You will eventually get a CEL but the computers are a little slow and it may be too late.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I agree with everything you posted in this thread... We are a minority here though.

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

No man, I hear ya. It was just funny with the "FTMFW." I personally don't think the A/F gauge is any replacement for your injectors, or the ones I'm putting in my DOHC 4.6 for that matter.

But whatever. I've said my peace and I'm done with this debate.

Quick Reply: wide band A/F - must buy or eye candy