Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:56 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void

ORIGINAL: Mike521

thanks for the input all. I guess what I was looking for was someone who spoke to their service mgr and the mgr said the CAI/tune is not a problem. Looks like that hasn't happened though, seems all dealers pull the same stuff.

To reiterate what was said before, I'm not concerned about the recall, I know they have to do it. I'm also not concerned about a warranty void for damage that's caused by the CAI/tune, that's my problem. But a 100% warranty void for stuff unrelated to the tune is BS.

I honestly don't know anything about the efficiency of premium vs 87. My plan was to simply test it myself once I have the tune and see which fuel gives better mileage, and if the added mileage makes it worth it to stick with the higher price fuel. I'm encouraged to hear that it's likely I'll be glad with the premium. I still don't like that the ford tune doesn't give me the ability to switch when I want to.

So bottom line is, even if I take it to the dealership where they said my warranty will be void, there's nothing they can do to permanently screw me, even if I have the CAI/tune installed?

My service manager is totally fine with it. they love mustangs, and he races them on the weekends. he understands why we buy these cars, and they get paid for warranty work anyway. as a matter of fact, i'm getting warranty work done right now (throw-out bearing, and fuel pump tsb.) and have my JLTIIon there with my brenspeed tune loaded. Hell, he's one of the people who said that i SHOULD put a cool air intake on. On top of that, he said don't bother putting the stock box on, if they ever have to reflash my pcm, he knows how to pull the strategy code before and after and all that. plus, he said if they ever have to call a Ford tech in, he'll let me know so i can come up and put my stock box back on before the tech gets there. Maybe i'm just lucky.....maybe that's one of the few benefits of small town dealers

EDIT: FYI, i bought the 75,000 mile warranty, which is taking care of my work today since i have 38,000 on the odometer.....
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Premium fuel is more efficient than standard fuel, your entire statement is an oxymoron. I'm saying this like a fact but your mileage may vary. 10 years ago when gasoline was 1/3rd of the current cost, the difference in the cost of the added expensive octane booster to gasoline made it 10% more expensive than standard gas, yet it only boosted efficiency 2%-6% (assuming the engine timing was adjusted). Premium gas has always been this much more efficient than normal gas and always will be though...

Currently though Premium fuel is 3% more than standard fuel in terms of cost, yet you still get 2% to 6% more efficiency. Unfortunatly the uneducated American public beleives that Premium gas is more expensive overall so a low class car will never sell using premium fuel, even if it could cost less on a yearly bassis to run. lol

Unlike what you said, the more expensive gas is, the more reason it gives to run higher octane fuel because the different octane ratings go the same price. Currently the tradeoff i probably about even but that means that this is absolutaly no excuse to not get a cai.

I know saying the following is difficult, but give it a shot for fun: "and so it forces you to use premium fuel all the time. That's great with gas being as expensive as it is, as it will reduce my fuel bill because premium fuel is more efficient than it is expensive with a tune."

[/quote]

SUSTAINED!! I'm going to ask the jury to scratch that post from the record..

There is no truth to anything you stated about premium fuel. It's not more efficient. it contains more detergents and a higher octane which will cause the fuel to burn slower in the combustion chamber. The thing with octane though is that if you don't need it it's actually detrimental to making power. the reason it's required on most aggressive CAI tunes is because they advance the timing so much it could cause detonation but since your using a SLOWER BURNING fuel by using the higher octane it will help prevent harmful detonation. Premium will NOT get you any better mileage over 87 octane in like situations. It WILL make less power on a vehicle thats designed to run on 87 octane.
Think of higher octane fuel on a cai/tune combo as a band aid for detonation.
The guys that run big boost in there s/c's will sometimes mix race gas (110 octane) with pump fuel to provide further protection from detonation.once again it's a band aid against detonation
Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: Mike521
thanks for the input all. I guess what I was looking for was someone who spoke to their service mgr and the mgr said the CAI/tune is not a problem. Looks like that hasn't happened though, seems all dealers pull the same stuff.

To reiterate what was said before, I'm not concerned about the recall, I know they have to do it. I'm also not concerned about a warranty void for damage that's caused by the CAI/tune, that's my problem. But a 100% warranty void for stuff unrelated to the tune is BS.

So bottom line is, even if I take it to the dealership where they said my warranty will be void, there's nothing they can do to permanently screw me, even if I have the CAI/tune installed?
I checked with my dealer and they had no problem whatsoever with the CAI & tune. In fact he said "most Mustangs get modified, no big deal, remind us when you bring it in so we don't reflash for any updates. If we need to do anything that involves your PCM just be sure you have the hand held tuner with you so you can flash it to stock for us."

I also just picked up my car today for the air bag recall, no effect on the PCM, everything is done through a different unit.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

A dealership cannot void a warranty without proving 100% without a doubt that the part in question (aka, tuner) caused the problem for which the vehicle is in the shop. This is stated in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I think that most dealers actually dont care about most mods......you never hear about them though, you only hear people whine about the dealer saying it does void their entire warranty becuase they dont know any better and think that is the end of the story, they dont bother to check with another local dealer.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

+1
Build a relationship with them and they'll scratch your back.

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I think that most dealers actually dont car about most mods......you never hear about them though, you only hear people whine about the dealer saying it does void their entire warranty becuase they dont know any better and think that is the end of the story, they dont bother to check with another local dealer.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Not to mention that this recall must be performed, warranty or not. It's a RECALL. And, when they do the work, it doesn't touch the PCM. Find a different dealer.
Being that my car will never fall into the hands of dealer monkeys, then no, then recall does NOT have to be performed. /I win.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Going for broke

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Premium fuel is more efficient than standard fuel, your entire statement is an oxymoron. I'm saying this like a fact but your mileage may vary. 10 years ago when gasoline was 1/3rd of the current cost, the difference in the cost of the added expensive octane booster to gasoline made it 10% more expensive than standard gas, yet it only boosted efficiency 2%-6% (assuming the engine timing was adjusted). Premium gas has always been this much more efficient than normal gas and always will be though...

Currently though Premium fuel is 3% more than standard fuel in terms of cost, yet you still get 2% to 6% more efficiency. Unfortunatly the uneducated American public beleives that Premium gas is more expensive overall so a low class car will never sell using premium fuel, even if it could cost less on a yearly bassis to run. lol

Unlike what you said, the more expensive gas is, the more reason it gives to run higher octane fuel because the different octane ratings go the same price. Currently the tradeoff i probably about even but that means that this is absolutaly no excuse to not get a cai.

I know saying the following is difficult, but give it a shot for fun: "and so it forces you to use premium fuel all the time. That's great with gas being as expensive as it is, as it will reduce my fuel bill because premium fuel is more efficient than it is expensive with a tune."

SUSTAINED!! I'm going to ask the jury to scratch that post from the record..

There is no truth to anything you stated about premium fuel. It's not more efficient. it contains more detergents and a higher octane which will cause the fuel to burn slower in the combustion chamber.
You don't put higher octane fuel in the same combustion chamber as lower octane fuel. Also the fuel doesn't burn slower to make the lower power, it just has less of gas to burn because octane booster is like water, it has no significant energy when burned. When you increase compression though the fuel actually DOES burn BETTER to an extreme degree even if a small part of it is more inactive when compared to low octane gas. You wouldn't make more power otherwise.

The thing with octane though is that if you don't need it it's actually detrimental to making power. the reason it's required on most aggressive CAI tunes is because they advance the timing so much it could cause detonation but since your using a SLOWER BURNING fuel by using the higher octane it will help prevent harmful detonation. Premium will NOT get you any better mileage over 87 octane in like situations. It WILL make less power on a vehicle thats designed to run on 87 octane.
You're not putting it in like situations, that's like putting on a CAI with a larger diamiter at the MAF and not installing a tune, then saying the engine makes lower MPG because it explodes half the time you drive it with the CAI. Higher octane won't explode, but it will make slightly less power which is where your engine is not working and just burning useless octane booster. It's not working because you didn't tune it, not because the octane booster is bad. The octane booster nor the CAI are bad because likewise you didn't put either to use in a good way.

Think of higher octane fuel on a cai/tune combo as a band aid for detonation.
The guys that run big boost in there s/c's will sometimes mix race gas (110 octane) with pump fuel to provide further protection from detonation.once again it's a band aid against detonation
Octane is not so simple. motion denied, buddy.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I am having my dealership install a few Steeda performance mods on my new 08 GT including the CAI with a Steeda tune. They are a Roush and Steeda authorized dealership (Whipple too!), so I think they do good work. I have only heard good things about them.

Since the dealership is performing the install, my warranty is not affected by the mods. If I go to a different dealer and have a problem, all I have to do is tell them to call my original dealership.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

Some of you guys are lucky ! For the rest of us who have Stealerships that don't care about the anything but vioding the ESP / or fractory Warr - just strip the car. Easier to fake it than to fight it ! It will also give you an appreciation for what those mods are doing for you on a daily basis after tooling around with a stock tune and OEM intake for a week or so. I prefer to pick my battles and I don't want to give them something easy ! Whatever you choose - good luck to you, (and us all).

Quick Reply: Yet another CAI / tune vs warranty thread - dealer says warranty void