Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KDWS at 40psi bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: KDWS at 40psi bad?

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

ORIGINAL: ht11121991

I run 35. I usually stick with the little sticker in the door jam. Hope that helps.
Doesn't your sticker say 32?
The sticker is the car manufacturer's recommended pressure. Typically, I prefer to go about 4 PSI above that but I typically experiment. Each brand and make of tire I've ever put on a vehicle has handled differently at the recommended pressure so tire pressure should be a user defined value (within the tires limits) based on your driving style and how you want your vehicle to handle. There are always trade-offs. My Eagle F1 All-season's are at 34 right now and I'm going to see how they feel at 36. I could possibly end up back at 32. We'll see. Don't go solely by what people tell you. Go by what you feel in the seat-of-the-pants, too.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:28 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I run 35 psi in the KDWS because we are fat people and need the helpfrom rolling resistance.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Actually, the explanation given on that site makes sense. Most cars don't have the power or the wide tire to accelerate wear on the center patch from distortion. For most cars, the standard rules are true. Add a wider tire where the contact patch can be distorted with torque and the wear pattern changes.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

More air equals more wear in the center.
Less air equals wear on the outer edges and little wear in the middle.
Go back and question his logic before running 40PSI to keep them
from wearing in the middle too fast.
Does this guy sell you your tires by some freak Coincidence.
If so, remember, he SELLS tires.
This guys does not sell tires like a tire shop, they are a suspension shop.
The company is Thurston Spring Service andtheir business is suspension work on all cars, trucks, semis, you name it.
He never once tried to sell me a tire or said bring it back when you need tires, so your logic is flawed here.

Theguy"seemed" likehe knew his stuff and I find it interesting what he told me is what others are hinting to about these tires.
This subject needs more scrutiny; does anyone else want to weight in here?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
nofear
1st Gear Member

32 psi is average for almost every car...... be careful that your tired dont get a bubble if its inflated too high and you hit a pothole
Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

I run about 37psi when cold
as they heat up they are around 40 when warm
and when I started doing that I got a extra 1-2 mpg

Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I run 35-36 and my tires are wearing prefectly with 5000 mile rotations.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

rotating is probaly the most important thing to proper tire wear. That and maintaining air pressure.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

35 with no uneven tire wear and KDW2s
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That they deal with 18-wheelers may have something to do with them tending toward higher pressures. Underinflation there is serious business (and probably good for a DOT ticket and fine if they catch it at a weigh station). Never mind that half a mpg is a huge difference with diesel over $4/gallon and you're only getting 5 or 6 mpg when loaded.

For most cars, 40 psi is too much under most circumstances. I can't speak for the Marauder as I know nothing about it, its suspension, or its wheel/tire package. But in general, 40 psi is too much for the rear tires any car that carries at least 52% of its weight on the front tires, has same-size tires all around, and they're of appropriate size for the vehicle weight. Especially if you're talking 40 psi cold. It's still a little high even for front tires, just not quite as excessive. And I can't think offhand how overinflation could lessen center-tread wear either.

About the only exception that I can think of right away involves heavy trunk loads (as in, beyond vehicle loading limits, that most of us do anyway at least once in a while even though we shouldn't).

And autocross, where testing may show improvements with various wheel/tire/car packages on certain course layouts. But FWIW, I've found that at least on the lots where I run that the combination of 38-ish front and 35-ish rear measured hot worked at least as well on a stick axle car of generally similar size, weight, weight distribution, power, and wheel width as higher pressures did. And I tried all the way up to about 48/43. 37/33 is about where the sweet spot on the FWD car (Mazda 626) lies.

On some performance-oriented tires there are (usually triangular) shapes molded into the shoulder areas of the tires. If you're cornering at least fairly hard, you want the scuffed area of the tread to extend to the points of the triangles.

38/35 hot is about 36/33 cold at this time of year. For now, the 235/50-18 KDWS on the Mustang are at 35/31 cold (I don't need to carry heavy loads in the trunk or adult passengers in the back seat of this car, so I'm not afraid to be a psi "below spec" in the rear when cold). So far, so good, though with less than 300 miles on the car I'm not leaning on it very hard in any way yet.

Norm

Quick Reply: KDWS at 40psi bad?