Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa Axel Backs - First Impressions - Sounds Added

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Default Corsa Axel Backs - First Impressions - Sounds Added

Some of you may have read that on Saturday I picked up a 2008 GT/CS. I love the car so far, it’s awesome. However I’ve been in enough of the current body style GTs to know that I wanted different exhaust right away so I ordered some Corsa’s and had them sitting at the house waiting for the day I’d get the car.

Well, I installed my Corsa axel-backs last night with the help of my friend. It took about 1.5 hours and went really smoothly. We did have a bit of a hassle lining the tips up right, but after some fiddling we got them looking great.

First impressions, upon start up they sound awesome. They are much deeper and throatier than the stock pipes, which didn’t sound bad themselves. Once the car warms up a bit they idle quietly, but enough to know you’ve got on something else. Just driving it around the neighborhood there isn’t that much of a change over stock. They certainly weren’t much louder, however the tone was much better.

Once I got out of the neighborhoods and onto the highway I let it rip. And wow, they REALLY come alive when you get on it! They sound fantastic at WOT. I wanted to hear what they sounded like from another car’s perspective so my buddy and I swapped Mustangs so I could hear my car. He went past me at WOT in 3rd gear and it’s pretty great. I really enjoy the sounds from those Corsa’s!

I also wanted to do some testing on the whole ‘no drone’ promise that Corsa so prominently advertises. Well, they are 100% correct! Just cruising down the highway at 70mph (with the radio off) you would never know I didn’t have stock exhaust. My buddy has Flows on his GT and he was amazed at how quiet the ride was.

Appearance wise, they look 10X better than the stock tips. Like I said before, it was a bit of a pain getting them to line up properly, but once done… man it was worth it! They look especially nice with the GT/CS rear fascia.

All in all, I’m extremely pleased with them. They are certainly a bit more expensive than a run of the mill axel-back system… but the Corsa is not your run of the mill system. The build quality was excellent. I give them an A+!

We took some videos last night and a few pictures. I’ll try to get the pictures and videos uploaded tonight. When I do, I’ll make sure to post the links here.

Here is the link to the first start up after the install was complete. I assume the popping was because it engine was cold... is that right?

With Corsa's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1HetgePYms

Stock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KnIWfZG9xo
Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Corsa Axel Backs - First Impressions

Now you either need longtube headers n o/r pipe, Or just some kind of o/r pipe so that you can hear them while just at idle and crusing threw the neighborhood. Congrats. Im a big fan of the corsas but still havent been convinced yet to spend that much money on a pair of them.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I've never liked the look of the tips. They always remind me of candle snuffers or bells.

Glad you like the new sound. My stingers are the one thing on my stang that I'd never give up. The sound of your exhaust is a huge part of the enjoyment factor.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
mandoq
3rd Gear Member

its the frpp x pipe a good combo with corsa. What other combo sound good with corsa prochamber,x pipe, h pipe etc..
Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I wouldnt go with the frpp x-pipe since you have to cut into your midpipe and have that weld in. I would suggest going with a solid one. If you plan on going with longtubes i wouldnt buy a midpipe now, But if your not or its gonna be awhile i would go for it. I know pypes makes a real good o/r H or X w/e you prefer and there not that expensive.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

I have Roush Exhausts, with an O/R prochamber, and it sounds fantastic! There should be some vids of them on youtube. I'll have a vid soon enough, so you can get an idea.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

+1 on the Corsas, they are down right awesome!!
SteveO, get a CAI/Tune and you will be amazed at even how much more awesome they sound.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

I love mine!!!! and the look of the tips is above all others I've ever seen
Old 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Congrats, I love my corsas.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

My corsas hurt my fuel economy. Instead of cruising in neutral up to a stopsign, I either heel-toe or revmatch just so I can listen to my exhaust bark while I engine brake up to the cars in line. It sounds so good

Quick Reply: Corsa Axel Backs - First Impressions - Sounds Added