Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Brake Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Default 3rd Brake Light Question

Ok i just ordered the Smoked 3rd LED brake light from stangmods, and just went out to my car and installed it.

Now when the car is off and locked and everything, it appears as though the LED's are very dimly lit. As in power is still going to them after the car is off. Is this just something normal that they do or what's up?

I tested the brake light to make sure it works and it works properly, but with the car off it just seems as though there dimly lit. I just don't want my battery dead.

Is there possibly anything that i did wrong? I followed the tutorial on here for replacing one. It said that if the connector is in the wrong way it won't light up but mine lights up fine, so i don't know if i have it hooked up wrong and that is why it's doing that, or if it is just the way it looks with the car off.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 3rd Brake Light Question

Are you sure they are dimly lit or are they maybe just reflecting some other light?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
wildboi013
2nd Gear Member

Ihave seen them glow a bit after turned off but hardly anytime... put your hands over it to see
Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang3GT07

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
I knew this was coming. It could just be light reflecting inside the housing from my house when i looked at it, and it appeared dimly lit. I will try to get pics of it tomorrow night, like without a flash on or whatnot.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cegha

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
I knew this was coming. It could just be light reflecting inside the housing from my house when i looked at it, and it appeared dimly lit. I will try to get pics of it tomorrow night, like without a flash on or whatnot.
Haha i had to do it. But its weird i know what your talking about because i bought some LED blue dome light bulbs and put them in. Ill be driving around the the dome light off of course but when u look up at it you can see the bulbs like glowing like there on. IDK if they are or not. Its like there on but super dim.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

It's normal. A Light Emitting Diode still glows for a little even when the current isn't flowing. They don't work like lightbulbs so don't expect them to. I've heard of this before.

It's kinda like just turning off the tv and the pixels are still kinda lit up.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The circuit is either on or off with the factory bulb. You are simply connecting the LED array in place of the factory bulb, so the circuit is unaffected - still on or off. You areeither seeing a reflection off of the diodes or the residual power in the diodes after turning off. Either way, the circuit is off and will not drain your battery.

BTW, how do you like the Smoked 3rd LED Brake Light? I have one on order from American Muscle for my black GT.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdmcbride

The circuit is either on or off with the factory bulb. You are simply connecting the LED array in place of the factory bulb, so the circuit is unaffected - still on or off. You areeither seeing a reflection off of the diodes or the residual power in the diodes after turning off. Either way, the circuit is off and will not drain your battery.

BTW, how do you like the Smoked 3rd LED Brake Light? I have one on order from American Muscle for my black GT.
MINE DOES THE SAME THING!!! I just installed mine this evening. As soon as I plugged it up, the entire row of LEDs light up very dim. There is no reflection of light as i have the car in my garage with the lights off.

Cegha - What did you end up doing? I am going to call American Muscle tomorrow and see if they have heard of this and how to correct it.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cegha

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

I know. It's like people sit around all day long just waitinf for a chance to post this thing. Use you imagination people.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light Question