Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NSR cam/mpg question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
AtHomeTech

Default RE: NSR cam/mpg question

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Generally speaking, anoticeable impactcam change will drop mileage 3-4mpg.
I am curious where you got this GENERAL information? I have a HUGE cam in my C5 vette and did not lose even one MPG and made 69HP from just the cam. In fact with all my mods I am making 390 at the wheels on a mustang dyno and still get 20mpg in town and 30+ on the highway. The trick is in the TUNE, at least on the LS series engines. I am very new to Fords but I suspect it will be the same story, tune it right and you can have more power and maintain good drivability and fuel economy. On my previous vette I did a big cam and auto with a high stall which did cost me about 3mpg because of the stall and all the in town driving i do, maintained good economy on the freeway.

-Ken
Old 04-10-2008, 04:40 AM
socalsaleen

Default RE: NSR cam/mpg question

I am curious where you got this GENERAL information? I have a HUGE cam in my C5 vette and did not lose even one MPG and made 69HP from just the cam. In fact with all my mods I am making 390 at the wheels on a mustang dyno and still get 20mpg in town and 30+ on the highway. The trick is in the TUNE, at least on the LS series engines. I am very new to Fords but I suspect it will be the same story, tune it right and you can have more power and maintain good drivability and fuel economy. On my previous vette I did a big cam and auto with a high stall which did cost me about 3mpg because of the stall and all the in town driving i do, maintained good economy on the freeway.
I agree completely, I had an 03 c5 vettewith similar results. I wish I still had the car but thats another story. With heads and a "cheatr" cam I gained over 100hp with no more than 1mpg loss in the city(most likely my foot). On the highway my milage actually improved from 27mpg or so to 28-29mpg and thats real world as I find both the mustang and the vette trip computers lie. I am not saying some cams may give you worse milage, but just like any mod, some can be attributed to your foot experiencing the extra power.