Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NSR cam/mpg question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default NSR cam/mpg question

It probably seems like a dumb question, but since gas is getting near $4 a gallon, those of you who have installed cams (specifically the no springs cams) what kind of a difference in mpg did it make? This car is my daily driver and I average around 22mpg combined city, hwy driving. I don't mind losing a "little" mpg, but I don't want to drop off to like 15mpg or something. I drive with a pretty light foot most of the time.

Has anyone triedthe comp cams nsr grinds? Are they lopey at all?

I'm getting a quote right now from Houston Performance for cams, installation, and dynotune. Let me know what you guys think.

07 gt
frpp shorties
mac off road x
eibach pro kit
gt500 spoiler
air raid cai
diablosport canned tune
Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NSR cam/mpg question

ttt
Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

I`m interested in this also. The concept is attractive to me, low cost, no tune required and an install that I could do myself. Went to Comp cams site, say`s the the stage 1 adds torque(unspecified) but also say`s "solid hp gains above 4700 rpm". I don`t spend that much time @ 5G plus, I`d love to see dyno results ( or owner feedback)as I don`t want a dip in the curve down low. Your MPG question is also valid. Anybody with 1st hand experience? T.I.A.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Its not too much of a difference. Probably not worth it for the $$$. Any time a cam can use stock springs and no tune means its not making enough of a difference to need that much more gas or timing. That tells you enough right there.

Generally speaking, anoticeable impactcam change will drop mileage 3-4mpg.

If you can install yourself then NSR cams are definately worth the money since you would get at least a sound difference.

Keep in mind that Ford makes our cams fairly mild because of CAFE and mileage requirements. If they go too crazy on cam grinds, in an attempt to make these things rumble and be loud, then gas mileage plummets. This is why our mustangs sound so mild compared to previous years, because the cams are a much more conservative grind due to mileage needs. In other words... Yes, you'll notice the drop in mileage. Thats what cams do.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Its not too much of a difference. Probably not worth it for the $$$. Any time a cam can use stock springs and no tune means its not making enough of a difference to need that much more gas or timing. That tells you enough right there.

Generally speaking, anoticeable impactcam change will drop mileage 3-4mpg.

Yes, you'll notice the drop in mileage. Thats what cams do.
1. If it`s 25hp for $700 then it`s completely equal to the vaunted CAI/tune.

2. UnlessYOU haveadded NSRcams, the jury is still out on the MPG.

Anybody with actual experience?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

there will be additional tuning involved.....you shouldnt expect 25 hp without a new tune
Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

there will be additional tuning involved.....you shouldnt expect 25 hp without a new tune
I`m just going by the Comp cam claims, not saying they`re correct. That`s why I`d love to hear from a real world customer. Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

From all the people that have brenspeeds and had them install them they did tuning. And when i talked to Brenspeed they said the same basically. Any cam change will require tuning. Now brenspeed might be able to just email you there tune, i am almost sure this is correct. I would be taking it up there since its only 3 hrs tops for me.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

So I wanna know too...

If there was a real good cam out there, say 50+hp gain from stock, will it be tough to make a tune for this application?
I mean, it's got to be a reason why it's taking so long for the aftermarket industry to come up with it.
There's money to be made...
Old 03-27-2008, 07:18 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Modaddict would be a good person to ask but yeah, in short, to get the gains in cams, you need to be a good tuner to get them. Its not like a CAI, not every joe or bob with a dyno will be able to write a good tune for them IMO

Quick Reply: NSR cam/mpg question