Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple maintnence questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

Default A couple maintnence questions.......

I'm doing an oil change on sunday and I decided to change my fuel filter a well.

My first questionis, does everyone use exactly 6 quarts when they do their oil changes? I work at an auto parts store and the computer said the Stang requires 6.34 quarts. Is this true??? This whole time i've been using exactly 6 quarts of Royal Purple.

My second question is, do I need a disconnect tool for the fuel filter or does it just clamp on? I haven't checked under that splash guard so I don't know yet.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: A couple maintnence questions.......

Must be eager to run the beast (unless it is a DD)... I am in Clinton Twp and will change my oil in May when she comes out of storage. Yes- the car will take a little over 6.25 quarts so get 7 quarts of RP (always nice to have extra just in case!) It is never over filled and have changed the oil myself many times since new!
The second question I believe requires a disconnect tool and if you are indeed doing this this Sunday I can help you and want to see the fuel filter replaced as well. (can lend a hand as well[sm=smiley32.gif]) maybe have a drink or 2 after[sm=icon_cheers.gif]! PM me if interested and are you going to the massive cruise we have planned I believe in june?
https://mustangforums.com/m_4749671/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: PhattyDre16

I'm doing an oil change on sunday and I decided to change my fuel filter a well.

My first questionis, does everyone use exactly 6 quarts when they do their oil changes? I work at an auto parts store and the computer said the Stang requires 6.34 quarts. Is this true??? This whole time i've been using exactly 6 quarts of Royal Purple.

My second question is, do I need a disconnect tool for the fuel filter or does it just clamp on? I haven't checked under that splash guard so I don't know yet.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A couple maintnence questions.......

The fuel filter doesn't require any disconnect tool. There is awrite up somewhere about it. Anyways all you have to do is take off the cover, and use a screw driver to disconnect the lines. A lot of fuel will come out and you'll think it'll never stop but it'll be ok. I pulled the fuel pump fuse just incase though. Real easy to do and I did mine without a lift or jacks or anything. As far as oil, as long as it's above the halfway mark on the dipstick you'll be ok but if you want to go as far as to top it off and make it to the top line... that's up to you too and in that case will most likely require more than 6 quarts. When I used to change my oil myself I just used 6 quarts, but the dealer just changed mine and they charged me for 7 quarts (and dunno what oil they are using but they charged me $8 a quart. >.&lt