Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas-JBA long tubes & midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Default Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas-JBA long tubes & midpipe

So a month after I installed the JBA long tubes and cat-less mid pipe I just can't the vehicle started.
The issue at hand doesn't seem to be directly related to the long tubes. SO I'm outlining what I did in the downtime while the vehicle was having the headers installed. Taking any resonable suggestions as to what I messed up on.
The vehicle seems to be literally DUMPING fuel into the clylinders. Vehicle will either start for a second and back fire or have a hard time starting.
If I pull the plus say every 5 times I try and start the vehicle you can see the plugs are just swimming in gas. I even notice some black liquid seeping out of the cracks between the mid pipe and long tube.
vehicle still has the same ford procal tune in it that came with teh 400HP kit.
So the only additional modifications I made since installing the long tubes is as follows:
I swapped CPR fuel rails from driver to passenger side and extended the wiring.

I also installed new valve covers. The yellow ones seen in the picture. Otherwise thats it.

Update, I yanked the 02 sensor. It looks a little toasty.
I'm not sure if the black crap is fuel and carbon from the back firing or possibly oil seeping into the cylinder???
Old 03-29-2008, 04:08 PM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas

I notice you extended the wiring,What was involved with that?I believe you have an electrical problem.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas

when you first installed the whipple kit, was
everything else stock on the car and if
so, did it run fine at that point

Old 03-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

The car had run just fine for about 3000 miles with the whipple setup. The issues only popped up after the header install and the fuel rail wiring extension.
The 02 extension wires were purchased from JBA and is a common item when doing long tube setups.

I'm whiling to ponder and electrical issue but what would make you think that?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Green08BulliTT

sounds like there is an issue with fuel inj staying open. sounds more like a electrical issue that happend when u extended the inj wires. i would double check those first then look at the o2 and make sure its sending the right voltage.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

After Installing the Long Tubes did you connect the O2 sensors harness right. If you crossed the left side with the right side would it give that type of problem? Check Brenspeed website, they have a picture of how the O2 sensor wiring should look. Its in the Tech page. http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/images/02harness.jpg
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Anyone have any thoughts on what looks like fuel and carbon from blowby with the backfiring or is this oil? I dont thing it is oil and wonder if all that was just from the backfiring and the rich fuel and carbon buildup mixing?

Nichepi- do you want me to move this to the 4.6L section? spec for 2005+ as many of the diehard tech guys linger around there. Hammeron can be a help (see above) and so can modaddict and sawyer. PM to let me know! Hope to help you get an answer but it appears to me it is the electrical system.

Also why did you switch the fuel rails and extend the wiring in the first place? Just wondering? J
Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nichepi, here's what i would do

disconnect the neg battery terminal
pull the spark plugs and let the cylinders air out

check your Fuel Rail Pressure Transducer Sensor extensions:
make sure each wire has a good connection
make sure that no wire is shorting against another

Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Lets see if I Can answer everyones input:
First, as far as I can tell each side 02 is hooked up to the right coorsponding side.

I would agree the it seems like teh injectores are staying wide open. I doubled check the wires today on the fuel rail sensor and I had disconnected the battery terminals for an hour to let the computer reset. both times same issue.

We swapped fuel rails because we are using the CPR fuel rails and they haven't brought out their modified design yet. The current issue on the CPR rails isthe location for the sensor is in the middle of the rail. This majorly interfers with the induction tube supplied by for racing for the whipple setups. So we swapped rails and extended the wires. While speaking with Kevin M at diablo he had stated he's done this several times on 05+ mustangs and has not seen any issue.

Here is a pre sema shot of teh cpr rail before we swapped sides.
Actually when teh car had the setup like this is was ran just fine.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

I think the black junk is carbon from backfire and to much fuel.
I had it at the ford dealership last week and the only info the gave me was that the computer was throwing EGO codes but I contribue that to teh rear 02 sensros not being hooked up. I did go out today and purchase extension wires to hook up teh rear 02 so now all 02 sensors are hooked up.

The thing is my diablo predators is telling me the computer has no error codes. So I have nothing to work on.

Any thoughts on the 02 sensor in the pic. If the sensor was fried would it possibly be contributing to the issue?

I guess some of the issues is I have no way to validate if the computer tune in their is the right one after I swapped back in forth between the ford procal and the dfiablo tune which neither seem to work now, plus I don't know how to validate if their is any spark getting to the engine.
Though I hav no clue what would be causing no spark to be getting to the coils if that say is one of the issues becaus as far as I know of nothing else has been modified.

Only other thing Kevin told me was that the duty cycle on the fuel pump was 30% and he thought that was high.

Quick Reply: Still can't get 06 whipple to start back up taking any reasonable ideas-JBA long tubes & midpipe