Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Default HID problem

I just installed a set of stangmods HIDs and am having an unusual problem. Whenever I try to ignite them cold the passenger side bulb flashes and goes off. Sometimes, the drivers side bulb will do this, and sometimes both will. They always ignite though and stay lit if I turn them off and right back on. Stangmods is sending me two new ballasts because it is the most likely cause, although they say the chance of both of them being faulty is pretty slim. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: HID problem

need more juice i think....
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Well, it is wired directly to the battery and is controlled by a relay. Not sure it could get more juice. Would it have anything to do with the fuse that's part of the line to the battery then? Then again, the ballast may be wearing out and, even though good enough to keep the light burning, may be having trouble giving that initial large burst to light the bulb.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Contact StangMods, hopefully they will work with you.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

I have contacted stangmods and they are working with me. Their customer service is amazing. I would just like some input so we don't have to go through several trial and error sessions, since they said the cause of the problem is not immediately clear.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ok, I got bi-xenon bulbs from stangmods a few months ago and went through, 2 entire different kits, for a total of 4 different bulbs, and actually 9 ballasts.... so just keep trying, but I think I can help you. You have the new relays for 05+ correct?

If not, get them, you need updated relays...

Swap out the ballasts, definitely could be them.

How are all the connections? Solid? Any prongs bent on the ballasts or otherwise? (This happen to me)

You have your power wire running directly to the positive side of the battery? If so, disconnect it from there, try connecting it to the fuse box screw, under the red "lock" towards the trunk of the car on the fuse box cover.

Where is your ground?

Get back to me.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
justang07
2nd Gear Member

i would say a relay is what you need
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

I have a relay, and that's just to fix the strobing when the engine is on. I'm on my second kit from them because of a manufacturing defect in the previous relay. My power wire is connected to the fuse box, I just wrote battery for some reason. All connectors and wiring are in perfect shape. I have my two grounds connected to a fender bolt on each side. Like I mentioned, it's just the initial ignition that gives me trouble. Once they are lit they stay on and run perfectly. New ballasts are on the way and hopefully they will be the solution. Also, they are the new ultra-slim ballasts, but I see no reason why they should perform differently than the big silver ones.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Well, then your setup sounds exactly like mine was, power grounds and all. (I recently went back to stock).

Only other thing I can think of is make sure your headlight connection (stock harness) to HID wiring harness on passenger side is solid. And that the driver side headlight connection is taped up well.

I would have to conclude at this point it is the ballasts. Keep us updated.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Did you go back to stock because of malfunctions with the HIDs or for another reason? I should have the ballasts sometime this week, I'll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: HID problem