Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont start, need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 AM
StrykerJ1G

Default car wont start, need help asap!

Hey guys,
Well before i headed to class this morning my car wouldnt start. I turn the key and everything comes on, lights, radio, etc. When i turn the key to start i get the constant clicking noise over and over but it wont turn over. I had to get it jumped from my parents and when i get to class this morning i turn my car off and try and turn it back on 10 seconds later and BAM! same clicking noise. I lift the hood and the negative terminal isnt really tight, i can pull it off the terminal with a little tugging and their is corrosion on the negative termnial. Could it be the acid or not tight enough? i dont have any tools being that im in class right now. I have someone to get it jumped for me but i was just wondering if theirs anything i can do to fix it? Like cleaning the acid or tighteningsome kinda of way without a wrench?My last class is in a few hours so speedy replys will be much appreciated!

BTW I do have a aftermarket HU, AMP(but not connected to battery),and a SCT tunebut if i turned the car off and tried to turn it back onRIGHT after turning it off then that doesnt mean the battery is dead right?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
jbeer05

Default RE: car wont start, need help asap!

I had the same problem, It was my starter.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

i would definitely clean the corrosion off the terminals and go from there. dirty terminals can play havoc with the car getting a clean current.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Wildmatt
1st Gear Member

More then likely it is just a poor connection at the battery. You need to take off BOTH battery connections, clean BOTH the terminals AND the battery post, and then reconnect the battery and make sure the connections are tight, although running around with loose battery connections may have done damage to your alternator now. You can try wiggling the terminal while trying to push it down more on the battery post, that might result in a temporarly better connection
Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

A car's alternator is not meant to charge a dead battery, so if you jump your car and drive across town, the battery will still be too weak to start the car.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
StrykerJ1G

Yeah ima try and clean it off, i jsut dont have a clue as how to tighten it without a wrench. My best friend was gonna jump it for me but she was gonna do some studying but if she has to she will jump it. Im just tryna find a quick way to fix it.

Its not my starter cuz this has happend before cuz the termianl was loose and i think thats what it might be, im jsut making sure before i start freaking out and bringing it places.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
StrykerJ1G

yeah im a a$$ for not cleaning it off, it just started crroding not to long ago. We had the battery off when installing my HU abouta week ago and reconnected it, maybe i didnt tighten it and itwiggled loose over the week.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Try to find something that you can jam into the space between the cable and the terminal post just to take out the looseness for a quick fix. But you need to get those cables off and then clean both terminals and cables. And don't shut off the car until you turn off all electrical items like the radio and lights. And don't have anything plugged in to charge like a cell or GPS.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If you still can't get it figured out you could have it jumped again and get it towed over to sears. They can test your battery and your alternator for free.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
StrykerJ1G

Thanks wingman, Ima try your jamming method. Sounds effective. Ima clean that battery the minute i get home.

Quick Reply: car wont start, need help asap!