Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharger and coil packs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
flolo
1st Gear Member

Default supercharger and coil packs?

Anyone with a supercharger upgrade thier coil packs? If so did you notice any difference? I have a saleen blower and am ASSUMING that it wouldnt need to be re tuned but dont know for sure. Im thinkin about the summit packs along with an oil seperator(any recomendations?)
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger and coil packs?

As far as coil packs... its all over the board. People claim gains, people claim losses... etc. I personally wouldn't buy them.

As far as oil separator, I know there was a huge thread about them awhile ago. I can't remember if Modaddict started it or not.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
flolo
1st Gear Member

Yeah, i remember reading it. that is what got me wanting one. I'll have to keep looking for that thread.If the coil packs arent that big of a deal maybe the moneys better spent elsewhere. opinions are good though.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

If you get Coil upgrades get MSD and only MSD

others have had issues
Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
tripc
1st Gear Member

I have a D-1 and MSD coils. I did notice that the accl was a little more smoother...Worth the 350 in my opinion... And if you have bug plans for your car.. The stock coils will only take you so far......
Old 03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Nobody lost horsepowerfrom upgrading their car with the aftermarket COPs. You are just relating non-factual information. There were some GMS coils that had some issues when they were first released.
I have the MSD COPs like these.

I have the Granatelli COPs

I had the last version of the Granatelli COPs too. Those had some failuresin the first version. If a coil fails you will lose power, duh.

The MSD COPS are the weakest of the two that I have tried. I dont know what their output is because MSD doesnt post the specs but I think they are only between 20,000-30,000 volts.
The Granatelli are 60,000 volts.
Their new design has upgraded stainless connectors and are way better that the MSD /OEM style spring connector.

COPs are a great modd for forced induction.Mosthigh-horspower modular racing engine over 600 RWHP have some kind of aftermarket COPS to provide better spark.
I would never run OEM COPs when there are better ones. I've seen dynos for supercharged cars with 17-29 RWHP from just putting these on.
Granatelli, Summit and Accel are the high voltage 60,000 volt coils.
They also completely eliminate spark blow-out which robs horsepower.
I have ran my car on OEM, MSD and Granatelli and it is a noticable difference. Next time I dyno I am going to measure them for gain verses thye OEM coils.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM
flolo
1st Gear Member

VERY imformational zkiller. Thank you. I've heard the summit units are pretty good(good price too). I want to get the 9lb. pulley from brenspeed, but before i do i think im gonna do the coil packs, seperator(moroso or steeda?), and the bigger intercooler.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

60,000 volt coils and a better connector a plus if your going racing both street and strip also road corse if you use a high ouality synthetic oil and you change it offen the oil separator may be over kill.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:53 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I have saleen supercharger with 3.2 pulley running msd cops for a while and noticed nothing but the red looks cool. The supercharger has so much power anyways who can notice 5 - 10 horsepower.