Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member here - ordering an 08

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
rhewes

Default RE: New member here - ordering an 08

I ordered my GT coupe on 3/13/08 and am currently at the "Blend Date" of 3/28/08. The Mustang plant has been closed all week though, so I'm not sure how long it will be before I get the produced date...my dealer told me it would take between 4-8 weeks (most likely six). These past two weeks have felt like an eternity though; can't wait for the car to show up.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:16 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

I would never custom order a car because ide be paying that 30k sticker, when if its on the lot I could knock that price down 5-7k...
Well, I did look for quite a while for something on the dealer lot that had everything I wanted but I had no luck. At any rate, I work for Ford so I get the discount which is under the dealer invoice by quite a bit. I don't have to haggle price!!.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rhewes

I ordered my GT coupe on 3/13/08 and am currently at the "Blend Date" of 3/28/08. The Mustang plant has been closed all week though, so I'm not sure how long it will be before I get the produced date...my dealer told me it would take between 4-8 weeks (most likely six). These past two weeks have felt like an eternity though; can't wait for the car to show up.

Welcome to the forums!

Flat Rock is closed this week and the week of April 31st. I'm not expecting mine until at least mid May.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
war machine 115
2nd Gear Member

congrats on the car...now you just need to hope they don't drop it like they did with mine...i had to wait4 months to get mine[:@]
Old 04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
nofear
1st Gear Member

i special ordered mine and didnt have to pay msrp thats a common misconception
i paid all invoice
my car is expected roughly may 7th thats the 6 week mark
what is the average build time every one has experianced?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: rlh6805

Ordered it on Tuesday. I ended up getting a Black GT auto w/ the California Special package. Black/dove interior. I optioned it out with the interior upgrade, GT appearance, HID, comfort group, and got the metalic fuel door, all weather floor mats, and even remote start. Can't wait until it's in!! Going to be a long month or so...
I was going to say, Windveil blue is not a color option for the CS/GT I would've gone with the CS but I don't like the Vista blue (too plain)or Black (too hard to take care of), white is rental color, and Ford's orange is too taxi-cab yellow for my taste [:'(]I can buy the rear diffusser bumper aftermarket..painted to my Windveil blue color for $600 and the front for $500 and be done. I got the GT package on my car ($245) that the CS comes with as part of the CS package. AND I don't have to remove those damn stickers that come on the CS [8D]. Same cost as the CS only windveil blue.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I actually thought getting a windveil blue with the Calif Special package would be pretty cool! If you can do that...
And having a unique Mustang built in a special way is going to make it worth much more than if you put on all the aftermarket parts you wanted! If you installed HID headlights aftermarket, it would cost you a fortune and you would be lucky to get back more than a tiny portion of that when you resell the car. Factory HIDs will give the car a higher bluebook price, always! If you are planning on keeping the car a long time, it becomes even more important!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Ms.Saleen
1st Gear Member

Hello all...

im pretty smart about my mustang shopping over the year ive been through lol
Ive been told many of times that they want a minimum $500.00 down payment before they will place a special factory ordered mustang for you.
Ive been going back an forth with a salesman through email for awhile and he couldnt locate one the way i wanted it so suggested he would go ahead and place a order for me to tell him exactly what I wanted. I was surprised that he didnt want money down as i thought you had to, I contacted him since to see if he really placed the order as I panicked reading online the deadline for a 2008 order was april 14th.??? He told me he placed the order just waiting to hear back with the vin # I have no idea when he soposedly sent the order out but i sent him an email telling him what the options i wanted were around march 19 '08

I am worried cause I don't have any proof telling me that the order was really placed, and the fact I didnt put money down I hope he took it seriously and really placed the order and isn't feeding me cr*p lol I hope it takes 3-4 months like he said im in no rush as it would give me more time to save up a nice down payment...i just wish I could have some piece of mind waiting lol

How long does it vary to get a vin #, and should i be contacting the inventory manager to see if my salesman is telling me the truth about placing the order?

thx
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ms.Saleen

Hello all...

im pretty smart about my mustang shopping over the year ive been through lol
Ive been told many of times that they want a minimum $500.00 down payment before they will place a special factory ordered mustang for you.
Ive been going back an forth with a salesman through email for awhile and he couldnt locate one the way i wanted it so suggested he would go ahead and place a order for me to tell him exactly what I wanted. I was surprised that he didnt want money down as i thought you had to, I contacted him since to see if he really placed the order as I panicked reading online the deadline for a 2008 order was april 14th.??? He told me he placed the order just waiting to hear back with the vin # I have no idea when he soposedly sent the order out but i sent him an email telling him what the options i wanted were around march 19 '08

I am worried cause I don't have any proof telling me that the order was really placed, and the fact I didnt put money down I hope he took it seriously and really placed the order and isn't feeding me cr*p lol I hope it takes 3-4 months like he said im in no rush as it would give me more time to save up a nice down payment...i just wish I could have some piece of mind waiting lol

How long does it vary to get a vin #, and should i be contacting the inventory manager to see if my salesman is telling me the truth about placing the order?

thx
You need to go up the food chain to get an official answer to this. First ask your salesman to write up your order and if he refuses go to the sales manager or GM. I'm sure they want to sell you a car so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 75gmck25

Special ordering a car should be one of the cheapest alternatives- its almost the opposite of paying sticker price.

-- First, make sure its really a special order, not just a promise to get a car that is already due to come in for dealer stock. Dealer stock cars can be diverted to other dealers, since they were not ordered for a specific customer. You might never get that car. Special orders are made online for a specific customer, then confirmed with the dealer in about a week (to make sure there were no errors).Fordwill provide the projected build date a couple of weeks after the confirmation.

WRONG If the dealer orders the car for a customer it just won't show up on the dealer locater as a unit available for trade. It can only be diverted if the dealer chooses to divert it after receipt.

--When a car is special ordered, its handled differently than a car ordered for dealer stock. In general, it will be built a little quicker becauseitshould have priority over cars ordered for dealer stock. You should never have to provide a (refundable) deposit of more than about $100-$150, unless you are orderinga very strange combination that would be hard to sell if you backed out of the deal.

It only had priority over the same dealers stock units.. and even then only if they diesgnate it that way.

-- Special orders usually cost the dealer less, because the cars are provided on a 30 day net basis from Ford. In other words, the dealer starts paying interest to Ford after 30 days. Since a special order is sold immediately, the dealer never pays any interest. Don't let them tell you that you should pay extra for a special order. Extra for what?

Partly wrong. The car doesn't cost any less to buy from FMC but in reality you are correct that the dealer has no finance charges assessed because of the timley fashion in which it's sold.

-- If the car is a special combination that is truly hard to get (not just because the dealer tells you its hard to get), then you might not save as much with a special order. However, there are very few Mustang combinations that fit this category (e.g., a Shelby GT 500).

I think building the unit on ford's website and then using the invoice price listed by ford is a fair way to buy the unit.

-- A special order car is a commodity item (like a box of Kleenex), and you can get it from any dealer in the country. Find the one with the best price, and get them to sign a contract. Make sure there is a time limit on the contract (e.g., if they don't get the car in 8 weeks, you get your money back and the deal is off). Then just wait for the car to come in.

If you order the car it's out of the dealers hand as to how long it may take to build. I know at my store if the unit is nothing special I would refund someones mony if they chose not to wait because a item was on constraint. (ex. my color on the 05's was waayy late on avalibility.)

-- Special Ford promotions can complicate things, because they are usually based on delivery date, not order date. There is a risk that the big rebate or super low rate financing might go away before you take delivery. However, in today's market that isn't likely.

WRONG again. Ford now has in place a program that guarantess that rebate to the customer in the event the rebate changes and it doesn't benefit the customer.

-- If you can get good credit union financing, take the Ford rebate instead of a low finance rate from Ford.

Good advice and most of the time very true.

-- If you want an extended warranty, only buy one offered by Ford. The extended warrantees are also a commodity item, and you can buy themat the new car price from any Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealer within the first 12 months/12 thousand miles.However, buying it with the car allows you to roll it into the loan.

Good advice.
Bruce

Not trying to bust you up Bruce but being a dealer I feel that public needs to be correctly informed.

Quick Reply: New member here - ordering an 08