Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bad exhaust day yesterday, the worst today...check this out

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default A bad exhaust day yesterday, the worst today...check this out

Yesterday I was going to get the prochamber installed but couldnt due to 1 o2 sensor was not moving and the other was crossthreaded inby the shop that I gave a lot of business to. So I buy3 sensors that way I could leave them in there untill inspection time again, go back to another shop where a good friend of mine works and we start removing the Maganflow x. The manifold studs on the driver side loosened no problem. We go to the passenger side, impact the top stud, snaps just like that. My eyes fell out of my head....what in the hell. After seeing that, I was losing it. Owner of the shop says we can drill and use an easy out. We start to loosen the bottom nut, ts not moving at all. Come to find out it, somehow it got crossthreaded on and eventually it snaps. Im am so pissed at that time I knew I was in trouble them. I work maintenance at a food plant here in San Antonio, so I know that these 2 broken studs are not going to come out. Long story short, called Northside ford, ordered some shorties and by later tonight and about $850 later, I will have some headers on the car. It goes to show guys, I guess you really cant trust too many people. Accident??? nope, you know when you are cross threading a nut onto a bolt because you are torquing the crap out of it. I called the shop where I had the work done and he says prove it was me. What else can I do?? I wont post the name of the shop on the here, but if anyone in SA want the shop, Id be more than happy to let you know. Even the parts guy who came to deliver something while the work was being done told me I was screwed.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A bad exhaust day yesterday, the worst today...check this out

Man I hate to hear stuff like that. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Stuff like that happens...even at better shops. The difference is how they deal with it.

On the good side, I'm sure you'll love the new headers!!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah that is the positive side of the story
Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

that sucks man sorry to hear,thats why i do all the work myself, but at least you got headers now lol
Old 04-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

The only thing worse than snapping a header flange bolt off is when you snap a spark plug off in the head. Talk about sinking feeling...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

To the OP...

YOU DON'T USE AN IMPACT GUN WHEN REMOVING EXHAUST MANIFOLD BOLTS!!

It's still not your fault but it sounds like only amateurs haveworked on this car so far, including the shop your friend works at.

It's not always easy to remove them, but the impact is a nono. A break-a-bar is more like it, that way, you can gauge when to stop before breaking.

Good luck with that mess now.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

That sucks! I do all my own work too so if I screw it up all I can blame is myself!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

What headers did you get?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

D*amn, $850.... you could have overnighted some JBA equal length shorty'scheaper thanthat.. But the upside is at least you can do something about it and you will get a little bit of performance increase and sound with it..... But no, you can't trust just anybody with your ride being that all they care about is just getting it in the door and out the fastest.. Sorry man, I know that everything will work out and let us know how you like the prochamber. Sound clips would be cool. I haven't heard any clips of the prochamber with shorty's
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Very overzealous... That's why I work on my own ****.. Or somebody I trust

ORIGINAL: pascal

To the OP...

YOU DON'T USE AN IMPACT GUN WHEN REMOVING EXHAUST MANIFOLD BOLTS!!

It's still not your fault but it sounds like only amateurs haveworked on this car so far, including the shop your friend works at.

It's not always easy to remove them, but the impact is a nono. A break-a-bar is more like it, that way, you can gauge when to stop before breaking.

Good luck with that mess now.

Quick Reply: A bad exhaust day yesterday, the worst today...check this out