Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Petglibgt

Default Dealership switch

Hello folks,

About a month ago, I bought a new 2008 Mustang GT in a dealership in NYC but I live in Connecticut. Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with having servicedone onhis/her new car at a dealershipwhich was not the dealership where the car was bought ? Can they refuse warranty service ? I only have +/- 600 miles and have already starting issues. Sometimes the car simply doesn't start...just a click...but nothing happens. Other times no issues. Weird situation. Now I have to drive it all the way back to NYC - not too big of an issue because I work in NYC - but hate to drive into city.
Appreciate your thoughts and comments - thanks a lot.
Peter
Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Dealership switch

ORIGINAL: Petglibgt

Hello folks,

About a month ago, I bought a new 2008 Mustang GT in a dealership in NYC but I live in Connecticut. Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with having servicedone onhis/her new car at a dealershipwhich was not the dealership where the car was bought ? Can they refuse warranty service ? I only have +/- 600 miles and have already starting issues. Sometimes the car simply doesn't start...just a click...but nothing happens. Other times no issues. Weird situation. Now I have to drive it all the way back to NYC - not too big of an issue because I work in NYC - but hate to drive into city.
Appreciate your thoughts and comments - thanks a lot.
Peter
Should not make any difference, so long as they are a Ford authorized service center. You may get better treatment from the service center who's dealership you bought the car from though...
Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Well, first off, any Ford dealer anywhere has to honor your warranty because they are a representative of Ford Motor Co. I have had work done on my car by a different dealer than where I bought it,(non-warranty work, actually mod installs), no problems, actually it was better because they are more "performance oriented" than the dealer I purchased the car from, but again, is wasn't warranty work.

Although I stated above that any dealer can honor warranty, I would personally bring the car where you bought it,even if its an inconvenience, because you are a customer of theirs, you might get better treatment from them, than say another dealer who might not care as much simply because you didn't buy the car from them.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

+1, your factory warranty is good at any Ford dealer. Dealers are weird about servicing cars they didnt sell. Example, if you get to the end of your warranty and a problem developsthe non selling dealers seem less inclined to go the "extramile" for you. Ford doesnt see it that way, but the dealership culture is very much that way.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

I pretty much always buy close to home and this is one of the reasons. The dealership that
sold you the car is the one MOST interested in keeping your business and generally will go
that extra mile. That said, what I did when I had service issues with my purchasing dealer, was
go to the next closest service department and was very honest:

"I'm shopping for a new dealer, my old dealership didn't treat me well, are you interested in
earning my business?" If they realize that you are closer to them, and they treat you well
you're more likely to be a repeat, maybe they'll see the advantage.

Frankly, I don't think too many service guys or even salespeople think ahead that far. Any Ford
dealer can service your car, will likely service your car, at worst, you might need to wait
longer for the appointment because *sometimes* they reserve slots for their own customers.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

At my dealership, and I'm sure many others, the service dept is seperate from sales. I doubt they know, let alone care, that I bought my car from them.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Better NOT be a problem... Unless the dealer is a dick.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Your problem might be easily remedied as well. Try turning the radio off before shutting the car off. There have been some posts about the skippers intermittently drawing excessive amps while off causing battery drain on cars that sit for more than a day at a time. I know I haven't had an issue since I started doing this.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:05 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Seems like a different dealer than purchased
from would go overboard to win you over to
get your busisness next time.
I mean you dont like where it was purchased,
but maybe you live close to the dealership
you are requesting service from?
Point this out to them. It may help if you have trouble.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 157db

Seems like a different dealer than purchased
from would go overboard to win you over to
get your busisness next time.
I mean you dont like where it was purchased,
but maybe you live close to the dealership
you are requesting service from?
Point this out to them. It may help if you have trouble.
That is more likely true on an older Ford car, not brand new. That happened when we first moved to AZ in 04. I had an 00 Mustang and my wife had an 02 Escape. They bent over backwards during service. About 18 months later we bought my wife an 06 escape from that dealer. Then their service started to go down. I bought my last car (08GT) From a new dealership that opened a couple of miles closer to my house. Treated like royalty so far.

Quick Reply: Dealership switch