Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Phoney to Poser in one Day! Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Default RE: From Phoney to Poser in one Day! Pics...

Looks great! I would leave the lettering as it is. Nothing wrong with it at all. Onlyone thing I would do differently, and one thing I'd recommend for people putting pins on their car.
1. Get some black button head screws instead of those phillips head.[:'(]Button heads are domed and take an allen head driver or wrench. You can get them in stainless or black steel finish. They'd finish off those pins perfectly! Good looking car!

For those who've never don it, when drilling out holes for any hood pins, I highly recommend first using the blue auto/body masking tape and put a few layers over where you're going to drill, both on top and on the bottom of your hood.(This prevents paint from cracking, peeling, especially on fiberglass hoods) After taping, mark holes from the bottom, and start drilling with the smallest bit possible, changing to a larger size . If you do this and progress up in bit sizes it's much easier to get a perfect angle of the hole. Don't ever just take to it with a 1/2" drill bit! That's a huge hole that cannot be corrected once drilled, whereas a small one can be change by reangling the drill, and nothing would look worse than misaligned hood pins.[:'(]
Old 04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

Looks great! I would leave the lettering as it is. Nothing wrong with it at all. Onlyone thing I would do differently, and one thing I'd recommend for people putting pins on their car.
1. Get some black button head screws instead of those phillips head.[:'(]Button heads are domed and take an allen head driver or wrench. You can get them in stainless or black steel finish. They'd finish off those pins perfectly! Good looking car!

For those who've never don it, when drilling out holes for any hood pins, I highly recommend first using the blue auto/body masking tape and put a few layers over where you're going to drill, both on top and on the bottom of your hood.(This prevents paint from cracking, peeling, especially on fiberglass hoods) After taping, mark holes from the bottom, and start drilling with the smallest bit possible, changing to a larger size . If you do this and progress up in bit sizes it's much easier to get a perfect angle of the hole. Don't ever just take to it with a 1/2" drill bit! That's a huge hole that cannot be corrected once drilled, whereas a small one can be change by reangling the drill, and nothing would look worse than misaligned hood pins.[:'(]
Hey thanks Scotte, appreciate it. And I would agree. I am going to retro back with some black screws. I think it would look much better. Oh, and I also agree with stepping up with the drill bit. That is exactly what I did, and it is tramatic enough with just a 1/16 inch hole through the top skin, let alone the final 1/2 inch plus....The other nice thing about that is, with just the smallest hole drilled, you can see if the pin is aligning correctly prior to stepping up to the final size. Give a bit of fudge factor room, if necessary....

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Looks real good, i like those pins alot!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The only downside is you will have to instruct
the dealership on how to get the hood open now.
Super job! Looks awesome.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

The only downside is you will have to instruct
the dealership on how to get the hood open now.
Super job! Looks awesome.
LOL....so true, so true.....

Thanks!! And you will be pleased to know, not one Scotchlock fastener in the whole job!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
dcottrell6
1st Gear Member

Looks good the way it is, not a poser at all. Great job!
Old 04-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Looks great!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I just bought a set of hood pins for my new hood.....now I think I like those better!![:@]

Looks real good!!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

Looks great!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 PM
nofear
1st Gear Member

+1 on changing our the skrews allen or even torx would be better

Quick Reply: From Phoney to Poser in one Day! Pics...