Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 versus V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: V8 versus V6

ORIGINAL: vtmustangs

There are a couple of V6s on here that could take a stock GT.
I love how that always comes up. I'm thinking that if the guy wants GT power, buying a GT would be quicker, safer AND cheaper. Also, by that logic, there are some civics out there that can take a GT too. Totally irrelevant.
Based on the OP though, I'm pretty sure that's not what he's going for.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

I agree with you. My 69 Mustang made 289,000 miles on its 302 with only needing a gasket replaced now and then and a couple of clutches (According to the orginal owner). Family owned a 85 F150 that made it to 365,000 while only needing one head gasket and 3 clutches. Sold the truck to a kid and still see it every once in awhile. People who think American cars don't last don't know what they are talking about. I have friends that have got similar results from vehicles they've owned or their family has owned.

To the OP get the 4.6 it'll last and you'll wish you did later on.

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Honestly Ford is a poor choice for a long lasting car...
Go tell this to "wasvette"
A member here with 110K miles and counting...
He has done nothing to his car, except for maintenance of course.
He's also on his original clutch.

My friend's F150 (2001)with 240K miles still works perfect. He replaced onlythe A/C compressor, not bad.
My own F150 (01 also) performs flawlessly at 71K miles. I replaced my first light bulb yesterday, on of the cargo lights.
Boy was I pissed! I'll never buy Ford productagain!

I do agree on the chevy coment...
Altough one of my customer has 240K miles on a Saturn[8D]. It does show tough.

[/quote]
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

I love how that always comes up. I'm thinking that if the guy wants GT power, buying a GT would be quicker, safer AND cheaper. Also, by that logic, there are some civics out there that can take a GT too. Totally irrelevant.

Never fails.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaguarking11

I like the v8. The modular engines have allot of development behind them, however the 3v 4.6L v8 now is in its infancy. It revs well, it has a smooth power band sounds like god shouting and has a presence to it.

With all things aside, I expect the v6 to outlast the v8 simply because the v8 makes you do bad things. I expect to see 200-300k miles out of both these powerplants in the near future.

All I know is that, I test drove a loaded v6 auto at the dealer and bought a loaded v8 manual for my daily comute through the parking lot NYC is.

I think the v6 is an awesome engine, not to mention that for a daily comuter it will be quieter and use less gas. Some claim around 30mpg+ on the highway with the 6cyl. Best I have done in my v8 was about 27mpg but that was curising in 5th @ 70mph or so. And thats something I doubt I can repeate very often.

Get what feels rite, people here are pesimistic, my father owned one of the least reliable car in the 90's but that didnt stop him from putting 200k of really hard miles on it truble free mostly (had to replace o2 sensors and engine and trans mounts dute to the loads he had in the car would rip the stockers in 20k until he switched to some poly mounts). These cars were known as driving trans problems. He had a mopar that shall remain nameless due to me having fond memories of that car.

Even the older v6 engines that are 3.8L in displacement show up around craigslist with well over 150k on them and they had known issues. Take it all with a grain of salt, a car is only as reliable as the owner wants it to be. I knew someone who blew a chain on a corolla with less than 80k on the clock, it mangled the engine completly. He junked the car, he forgot that I looked at his odometer not two weeks prior to it blowing up when I borrowed the dam thing (prior to geting the mustang), then he told all my friends it had well over 180k on the clock, simply put its a shame people preceive fords as unrliable cars, they are not. My family has owned allot of diferent cars through the years, italian, french, german, japanese. We always come back to buying american.

I know a hell of a llot more ford owners with 300k+ on their odometers than I do honda, toyota, nissan etc combined. I am sick and tired of people treating ford like they are time bombs, ask people who use them as work vehicles, then beat on them every day sometimes in 3 shifts and the cars keep coming back for more, how else can you put 600k miles on a 7 year old car? dam near 100k a year there if you do the math.

Dont let people scare you, get what you want and enjoy it. Take every day as a challenge, there are some pople on this board with over 100K of truble free miles on their 05+ stangs.
This post probably makes the most sense. My family had a Ford Aerostar EXT which we ran for 280,000 miles, then sold it for $750. A year later after the sale, we saw our exact same car (same color, same trim, same dealer badge on the back) still going.

Fords are not bad cars, I need mine to last me at least 50-75k miles over the next 4 years, and I'm pretty confident it blowing on me is a non-issue.

If I remember correctly, i've seen posts on here by both S197 GTs and V6s reporting readings of over 100,000k miles with little to no issues at all. If you have the cash, get the GT because the MPG difference really isn't an issue. If money is tight (like it was and still is for me) get the V6. Either way, you're going to be driving a nice reliable car and turn tons of heads while doing it.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I was looking btwn the two when I got my car. The V6 is a good option-with stick it's peppy, but when it comes down to it the V8 is a V8. I think Ford has got it down pat with the 4.6 by now so no need to worry.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

I was going to get a 6, but glad I went with the 8. Better resale too
Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Legion5

The 4.0 v6 is poorly made and gets bad gas mielage for what it is. It's a great engine to tune up, but not so good in general. The v8 engine stands up to more strain but has a higher revline so it also experiences more strain.

Honestly Ford is a poor choice for a long lasting car, at least you're not trying to get a chevy though. They have the WORST turnaround in their cars. 60% of Chevys aren't driven more than 4 years.

Infinity and Accura are some of the best cars at high mielage actually.
You need to take a look at your statistics. Those 60% are probably rental fleets. I don't like Chevy but statistics are almost always biased.

As for Ford being a poor choice, again, I beg to differ. I owned a 2000 V6 (just sold it about 1 1/2 weeks ago) I put 124K on the odo and still going strong. MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE MAINTENACE is the key. I've seen Honda, Toyota, Acura, Nissan, etc all break downdue to poor maintenance or poor initial quality.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Hows it irrelevant people want to bring up how the V6 aint fun to drive and its slower and has less HP. Yall sit there and bash the V6 when there are V6s that can beat you. You can take you 2 cylinders and .6 liters and shove them somewhere if you want to make this into a pissing match
Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

OK Howy, LOCK this sucka because the kiddies can't play nice.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Hows it irrelevant people want to bring up how the V6 aint fun to drive and its slower and has less HP. Yall sit there and bash the V6 when there are V6s that can beat you. You can take you 2 cylinders and .6 liters and shove them somewhere if you want to make this into a pissing match
Wow, you missed the entire point not only of my post but of this thread. Grow up and take your insecurities elsewhere. I'm gone...

Quick Reply: V8 versus V6