Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...

bigdaddyart....wow....I had just the oposite feeling about the interior of the GTO vs the Mustang GT. I was turned off by the "mouse fur" door panels in the GTO and the fact that GM didn't take the extra step to integrate the passenger airbag better. I also felt like the HVAC controls felt like they came off a Sunfire, where the Mustang's controls operated smoothly with a high quality feel. The aluminum dash with the IUP of the Mustang put me over the top....whereas the GTO had silver painted plastic on the inside.

I did like the GTO's seats for their side bolstering, but I liked the Mustang's seats for their lumbar support. So, I liked both, just for different reasons.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 PM
FuzzyRag
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

bigdaddyart....wow....I had just the oposite feeling about the interior of the GTO vs the Mustang GT. I was turned off by the "mouse fur" door panels in the GTO and the fact that GM didn't take the extra step to integrate the passenger airbag better. I also felt like the HVAC controls felt like they came off a Sunfire, where the Mustang's controls operated smoothly with a high quality feel. The aluminum dash with the IUP of the Mustang put me over the top....whereas the GTO had silver painted plastic on the inside.

I did like the GTO's seats for their side bolstering, but I liked the Mustang's seats for their lumbar support. So, I liked both, just for different reasons.
Thank God, I thought I was the only one who thought the GTO seemed to have a interior that appeared far more cheap than the mustang.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

Hey BigDaddy, remember that Ford sold over 1,000,000 Mustangs in less than 2 years of production. 64 1/2 - mid 66.

Heres a nice resale story for you. My folks bought a new 67 coupe, I think it was about $4k new, I dont remember. 289, PS, PB, AT, AC, console. It was the lime green with a parchment interior. Nothing fancy or high performance, just a nice equiped Mustang. In 87 they decided to sell and buy a new Chevy 1/2 ton. I had a new 88GT so at the time I didnt want the car, my brother had a nice 68 coupe so he didnt want it either. My folks drove down on a Saturday morning to look at new trucks. A guy comes out, looks at the Mustang, and asks if they want to trade it in. My dad says no, he is either giving it to one of his sons or selling it outright. They get talking, one owner, never wrecked, always garaged, no salt, less than 100,000 orginal miles, nearly perfect condition. Turns out the guy was the owner of the dearlership. He wanted the car for his son, in the end my dad got a new 88 Silverado for the Mustang, cost him about $500 taxes, title.

As far as not ever having any resale value because of the high production numbers. B.S. Look at any 65-70 Mustang, Chevelle, GTO, Torino, Cuda, Roadrunner, Cougar ect. Those cars in any condition are commanding big $ on ebay every day. Look at orginal or unrestored cars in nice shape, they go for more than they cost new.

Anyone who still ownes thier 05 Mustang 20 years from now will be happy they have it, more so if they hold on to it for 30 years.

This is one of my retirement hobby's, so Im taking my time and doing things right.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:23 AM
BigDaddyArt

That mouse fur you speak of is called Alcantara and is a very expensive suede like material. It is widely used in BMWs and Audis, but I guess that makes it bad on these boards.

About resale value. I am not talking about 20-30 years down the road. If you try to justify your purchase of a car by how much it will be worth in 30 years, then you are deluding yourself. A car is a depriciating asset in the short and medium run, and even if you do keep it for the long run, it is still a very bad investment. If you were to have invested $4000 in the stock market 40 years ago, it would be worth a hell of a lot more than any car, except for maybe the rarest of the rare, and only if you invested poorly. That being said, people here are obviously talking about short run resale since they are comparing the GTO and the Mustang, and it is impossible to tell what either of those cars will go for in 30 years; however, the value of 30 year old cars is directly related to their rarity, and there will certainly be a lot fewer GTOs than Mustangs. That is not to say the GTO will necessarily be worth more, but basic theories of economics will be in its favor.

Now, if you were to buy a 2007 Shelby and keep it in good condition, I do not doubt it would be worth a lot in 30 years, plus you would get the enjoyment of owning it, which could make it good purchase, but not a good investment. And as you said, you are keeping your Mustang as a retirement hobby, which will obviously bring joy along with some return on your investment down the road. Heck, I don't plan to get rid of any of my cars. I will keep my current car for a long time, and I sure as hell don't plan on selling whatever I get next, as the car after that will probably be something more comfortable, and that will allow me to really turn up the heat on whatever muscle car I choose

I am actually much closer in my differences between the two; however, this is a Mustang Board and I wanted to stir the pot a little and give the other side. If I wasn't concerned about immedeately voiding most of the waranties, I would buy a plain GT and dump about $10k into it for a S/C, stereo, rims and suspension. I love the way it looks when lowered with staggered wheels, and a S/C would make it a beast. I am however concerned about keeping the car mostly stock for a few years, so I am probably just going to get a GTO with the optional 18s, which I love, and put in a system. If I wasn't impatient, I would get a Shelby, but maybe in a few years. Then again, with summer almost here, if I can find a good deal on a Droptop, I might be persuaded to get one of those.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

Any car is a coin toss as far as an investment goes. Usually, its a two headed coin and I call tails. You cant measure the value of a car solely by resale. after all, you get the use of the car while you own it. Its like anything else, it depends on how much you want to spend. I tend to spend alot on my cars, but thats my vice. Some people spend $5+ a day on smokes or booze, I spend mine on cars.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

All in all, the new GTO is one of the greatest sleepers ever.
Itd only be a sleeper to people who are ignorant and dont know what a GTO is.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:28 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

The new GTO's suck!!! They have what like 350hp but can only run mid 13's???? not that that isnt fast but a 2003/04 mach 1 with 305hp run the same time if not a little bit faster. The gto's are not what they were back in the day. They dont even look like a muscle car anymore it looks like a dodge intrepid mixed with a neon. I'm sorry but im not a fan of the new GTO's. I'd rather get a Mustang than a GTO anyday unless it was a 68 lol. A brand new GTO is about what 35-40 grand suggested retail price? and a mustang gt is like 25 or 30? go for the stang A TRUE AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR!! dont buy what once was a muscle car, GTO R.I.P.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:44 AM
BigDaddyArt

ORIGINAL: Jimmz

The new GTO's suck!!! They have what like 350hp but can only run mid 13's???? not that that isnt fast but a 2003/04 mach 1 with 305hp run the same time if not a little bit faster. The gto's are not what they were back in the day. They dont even look like a muscle car anymore it looks like a dodge intrepid mixed with a neon. I'm sorry but im not a fan of the new GTO's. I'd rather get a Mustang than a GTO anyday unless it was a 68 lol. A brand new GTO is about what 35-40 grand suggested retail price? and a mustang gt is like 25 or 30? go for the stang A TRUE AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR!! dont buy what once was a muscle car, GTO R.I.P.
Your ignorance is astounding. The 05 GTO has 400hp from an LS2, the same engine that is in the new vette. It runs low 13's and its MSRP is around $33k. To get a Mustang GT similarly equipped would put it around $29k. Not to mention you can get some pretty good dealer incentives and rebates on the GTO compared to markups for the Mustang. Your opinion of how the GTO looks and what a muscle car looks like is very subjective. I would say that an unassuming coupe chassis with a big motor stuffed under the hood is a muscle car. At least thats how muscle cars got started. And the Stang is really a pony car.

LizardKing, cars are one of the greatest vices. I just wish they weren't so expensive.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:25 AM
05_Bullitt
I ♥ Acer

I have been to the track 4 times already this year. My best time ((NO MODS)) was 13.67 in the 1/4. There were two 2004 GTO's that ran consistent mid 14's. The GTO owners were in the staging lanes bitching about their IRS and the weight. A 2005 GTO couldn't break 14 seconds. Maybe with a trained driver and drag radials it performs like car and driver says... but my car was on it's stock Pirelli tires and broke out 13.6!

I have video proving this if somebody wants to call me on it.

Having seen the GTO perform on the track in real life with real drivers I can say first hand that my Mustang GT outperformed the GTO in the 1/4 mile.

I can ALSO tell you that nearly everybody checking out vehicles in the staging lanes went out of their way to compliment my car... especially some super hot women. As for the GTO I didn't even know what the heck they were until I took a REAL close look at the logo.

There is no contest in my opinion... the Mustang GT will pick up more chicks and get them to the finish line faster. 'nuff said

[IMG]local://upfiles/13954/3E254A582C894FFFBD0C5702B2B95B14.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2005, 01:11 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

And thats the facts, (yellow)jack(et)

LOL

Quick Reply: What to buy 05 Mustang or 05 GTO? I need help...