Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Which shift ****

I have an MGW shifter that I bought a cue-ball shift **** for. It looks great but it is too slippery for hard shifts while racing. (I race just about every weekend). So I've been thinking about either a T-handle or a pistol grip handle. Which do you prefer?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 AM
miltoneagle
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Which shift ****

i got the MGW shift ball too...check there site...i race too and havent had a problem with slipping....works great
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I'm not a fan of either of them.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Next time you drive it hard, pay attention to the way your hand naturally goes for the shift ****. That's almost certainly going to indicate the better choice of the two given if you're going to limit your choices to just those two. I could be off on this, but it sounds like the ball is a little too small for your hand. The T-handle may be a little better for the 1-2 and 3-4, but I'd guess that the pistol-grip is better on the 2-3. Which shift is more troublesome?

There just might be better possibilities if you're willing to think out of the box and fab/modify your own. My own 'gut feel' is that either one if it already has been contoured for the individual fingers might not quite fit you, and that neither a purely vertical nor a mostly horizontal orientation as seen from the back seat is optimal either.

Maybe something kind of egg-shaped ina comfortable diameter andtipped about 20° - 30° toward the driver side . . . seems to me that anything that helps you win would look good enough.

I'm not a drag racer, so I didn't vote. I think that considering the ergonomics - how your right arm and hand work best in this instance - matters more than opinions that may be unintentionally biased by non-functional appearance considerations.

Let us know.

Norm
Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

I'm not a fan of either of them.
+1

Go with a ball
Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

Next time you drive it hard, pay attention to the way your hand naturally grabs the shift ****. That's almost certainly going to indicate the better choice of the two given if you're going to limit your choices to just those two. I could be off on this, but it sounds like the ball is a little too small for your hand. The T-handle may be a little better for the 1-2 and 3-4, but I'd guess that the pistol-grip is better on the 2-3. Which shift is more troublesome?

There just might be better possibilities if you're willing to think out of the box and fab/modify your own. My own 'gut feel' is that either one if it already has been contoured for the individual fingers might not quite fit you, and that neither a purely vertical nor a mostly horizontal orientation as seen from the back seat is optimal either.

Maybe something kind of egg-shaped ina comfortable diameter andtipped about 20° - 30° toward the driver side . . . seems to me that anything that helps you win would look good enough.

I'm not a drag racer, so I didn't vote. I think that considering the ergonomics - how your right arm and hand work best in this instance - matters more than opinions that may be unintentionally biased by non-functional appearance considerations.

Let us know.

Norm
Thanks Norm. The shift **** I have now is custom made out of a que ball and has the tri-bar emblem in it. It looks great but it is very slippery and I think a little too big. I took a look at the MGW site and like the look of the composite race ****. I haven't missed a shift since I insalled the MGW but I have to really grip that que-ball to keep it from coming out of my hand to the point where my hand cramps by the end of the race.
I don't really care about the look as much as its function. I don't show this car, it is purely a street/race car.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Get a ball.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Neither!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM
oshkoshbajawsh