Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a new rattle.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:00 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default Getting a new rattle.........

somewhere under the driver's side I think. I got under there and checked everything and can't find anything that jumps out at me. It sounds like an aluminum pie pan vibrating. I saw the heat shields and kind of bent them a little to see if they were touching something but it is still there. It only happens right when the tranny is a bout to shift under moderate acceleration and then it stops after the shift. One of those things that drive you crazy.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Getting a new rattle.........

Do you have a stock midpipe?
Are your exhaust hangers contacting the transmission crossmember?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

One of your tooth filling is getting loose.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
MD07gtcs
1st Gear Member

That sux hope you can find it.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I feel your pain. The dealership fixed a rattle coming from my rear parcel shelf area. Took them like 3 days to do it in their body shop. They did it under warranty. Today I swear I'm starting to hear that noise come back again. It's not as bad as it was - yet. Guess I'll coast for a while and if it starts to get worse back the car goes again.

[&:]
Old 04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

somewhere under the driver's side I think. I got under there and checked everything and can't find anything that jumps out at me. It sounds like an aluminum pie pan vibrating. I saw the heat shields and kind of bent them a little to see if they were touching something but it is still there. It only happens right when the tranny is a bout to shift under moderate acceleration and then it stops after the shift. One of those things that drive you crazy.
Sounds like the catalytic converter shield is vibrating against the body of the converter itself. Happened onthe aftermarket exhaust on my 00.

Put the tranny in nuetral and see if you can rev the engine to make it rattle. If weld joing is coming loose or weakened/cracked you would get sufficient vibration but would be hard pressed to actually "feel" it by hand.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
badger2840
1st Gear Member

Getting a rattle fixed at the dealership is like sandblasting your teeth in the morning with gravel.They dont know Sh$t most of the time. I sent mine in for a rattling rear decklid and they changed both my rear speakers ?!?!?!?!? I was like wtf.
Still a rattle but 2 new speakers out back .
Dealership mechanics are like lab chimps, they work with repitition. If its something they havent seen , good luck !