Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self install stripe question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Default Self install stripe question

What are the harder areas, and what are the easier areas to self install vinyl stripes? For example, to save money, I may do the roof and hood myself if they are easy, and take the bumper pieces to an expert.

Also, is the GT factory hood scoop difficult? It would seem so with all the curvature, etc.

I am worried because twice before I have tried to install 3-m clear bra stuff on my vehicles and I totally ruined it. I had in the past done flat large stickers and some window tint (I'm not a hamfisted moron), but I wouldn't want toruin all that stripe material.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:04 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Self install stripe question

I just did my own stripes.

Hood = EASY
Roof = EASY
Front bumper = Not bad, still easy
Rear trunk lid = With some skilled trimming and placing, this is really no problem either
Rear bumper = A total hassle, not even worth the time, Take it to a professional for this, you have to cut a lot of round edges and unless perfect, they just dont fit right, and you only get one slice at them....

The entire installation took me all day, I would suggest doing the dry method without water (Otherwise, takes days to try and get all wrinkles out) if you're careful on the hood/front bumper, the roof you should probably do the wet method to line them up right, and rear trunk lid you can probably get away with dry method.

Here are crappy cell phone pics I took of my work.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Oh and as for the hood scoop, I would just not do it. I like the look of no stripes on the hood scoop, as seen above. Just remove scoop, places stripes, cut holes with a razor blade of some sort, let them dry, and bolt the scoop right over it. No challenge at all!

Any other questions let me know
Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Here are some side stripe install tips from Taco

https://mustangforums.com/m_3557686/...tm.htm#3557686

Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

your stripes must have not been pre-cut, fastlane?

mine were pre-cut from Rob at BaltimoreStreetMods

the rear was easy for me. the front bumper was the only trouble I had because of the grooves. used a hairdryer and a lot of patience. I've done quite a few cars so it wasn't a total hassle or anything but I wouldn't recommend it for your first time.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:21 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FastLane034

I just did my own stripes.

Hood = EASY
Roof = EASY
Front bumper = Not bad, still easy
Rear trunk lid = With some skilled trimming and placing, this is really no problem either
Rear bumper = A total hassle, not even worth the time, Take it to a professional for this, you have to cut a lot of round edges and unless perfect, they just dont fit right, and you only get one slice at them....

The entire installation took me all day, I would suggest doing the dry method without water (Otherwise, takes days to try and get all wrinkles out) if you're careful on the hood/front bumper, the roof you should probably do the wet method to line them up right, and rear trunk lid you can probably get away with dry method.

Here are crappy cell phone pics I took of my work.

I thought that looked familiar. Funny that the first reply is from only miles away from me (I'm in Holland, MI).

Thanks for the info. I don't even have the vehicle yet, so we'll see. I would really like scoop with stripes though, so I may have an expert do that along with the bumpers.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT

your stripes must have not been pre-cut, fastlane?

mine were pre-cut from Rob at BaltimoreStreetMods

the rear was easy for me. the front bumper was the only trouble I had because of the grooves. used a hairdryer and a lot of patience. I've done quite a few cars so it wasn't a total hassle or anything but I wouldn't recommend it for your first time.
Your blue Mustang is my favorite. Best color, scoop, stripes, wing, and chin spoiler. That is exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks for the inspiration.