Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light / What the dealer told me... am I getting hosed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:09 AM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default Check Engine Light / What the dealer told me... am I getting hosed?

Ok, I got home from work today, about 1500 miles on my v6 05 'vert...

I parked it outside, and went inside to change...

Came back outside about 20 minutes later to start it up, and the check engine light stayed on. Everything seems to be running fine.

I called the dealer's service department, and asked about it. They said that the light would come on for a various number of reasons, and it isn't anything to worry about.

They said it would probably clear itself out before Monday, but if not, bring it in and they would fix it...

Should I worry? They said it would be ok to drive, but I don't like the idea of driving a car with the engine light on.

How long would it take for a fault code to clear itself out and the light to turn off?
Old 04-16-2005, 02:20 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Check Engine Light / What the dealer told me... am I getting hosed?

I dont know if they do clear themselfs out automaticly. you can disconnect the batt and reset it.. but that doesnt address the issue.. I say make an appiontment and if the light is still on by then take it in.. best to be safe then sorry.. but hell its all warentied..
Old 04-16-2005, 12:42 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Any other thoughts?

I was hoping to go driving today and enjoy the weather, but don't wanna destoy my baby
Old 04-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Brain
1st Gear Member

I know this isn't for a Mustang or even a Ford, but it may help you make a decision, so I'll post it anyway. I had a check engine light come on when I started my Mazda 6 to go home from work one Friday. I was concerned so I took it to the dealership that's on my way home (not the one I usually take it to for service), and they couldn't fit me in at 5:00 (no surprise there) but told me that if it wasn't flashing I could keep driving it. When I got home I called my usual service dept and was told the same thing, made an apointment for Monday anyway. Long story short, they couldn't fix it (had trouble with their computers) but they'd have everything cleared up by the end of the week. The next day I started it up in the evening and the check engine light was no longer on. Had been on for 5 days straight, haven't taken it back yet (this was in Feb, I think), not trouble so far. I'd say get out there and enjoy that weather!

-------
05 Sonic Blue GT 5 speed, ordered 4/1/05.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:46 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

I wouldn't drive it until someone downloaded the error code, and told me for sure why it was set,
It could be any number of reasons including trivial stuff, but is it worth the risk to you?
Old 04-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

I say as long as you have good oil pressure and the temp and amp gauges read in the right zone, go ahead and drive it. Ive heard that Fords in general are notorious for having the light come on for little or no reason. Many folks actually take the light out! Also, there is a commercial on the radio now for Aamco transmissions that says that over 20,000,000 people are driving around with their check engine lights on! And besides, the dealership told you not to worry.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: StupidTodd

Ok, I got home from work today, about 1500 miles on my v6 05 'vert...

I parked it outside, and went inside to change...

Came back outside about 20 minutes later to start it up, and the check engine light stayed on. Everything seems to be running fine.

I called the dealer's service department, and asked about it. They said that the light would come on for a various number of reasons, and it isn't anything to worry about.

They said it would probably clear itself out before Monday, but if not, bring it in and they would fix it...

Should I worry? They said it would be ok to drive, but I don't like the idea of driving a car with the engine light on.

How long would it take for a fault code to clear itself out and the light to turn off?
Check engine light is usually a sign of something related to the emission system being buggy. Could be as simple as not putting on your gas cap tight enough. That's why the dealership recommended waiting over the weekend. That one will go away after some driving. Could be a MAF sensor or O2 sensor got a screwy reading in which case it too may go away after some driving.

I would not recommend clearing the code though (removing the negative battery cable.) It's possible that if the light comes back on it could be coming on for a different reason in which case the first code is lost. Just wait through the weekend and see what happens. The car is under warranty so anything that does happen is covered as long as you have it taken care of in a reasonable amount of time.

You could always buy a handheld scanner (about $100) and see at least what the code is related to. I have one since I have two vehicles that are 2000 or newer.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:25 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

DRIVE IT!!! you got roadside assistance with the car and they told you.. drive it fast drive it HARD!! [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 04-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Titostang
1st Gear Member

Well my V6 had the check engine light come on too at about 500 miles. i was also scared but after checking the gas cap etc many times figured id drive it. i drove it for about a week and it went off. hopefully the same works for you man.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:22 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lostsoul

DRIVE IT!!! you got roadside assistance with the car and they told you.. drive it fast drive it HARD!! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

I am in 100% alignment with lostsoul. Drive it like ya stole it. It is not going to hurt anything. CEL can be triggered by any number of things. It is not flashing, and is not going in to the limp home mode. It is most likely something goofy. Emission fumes built up in a cat, loose gas cap, computer got hot, could be anything. And on the VERY VERY VERY SLIM chance that something did happen.... I am pretty sure that part of your purchase price is paying for a warranty.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light / What the dealer told me... am I getting hosed?