Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes mid-muffler system install advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Pypes mid-muffler system install advice

Has anybody installed the pypes mid-muffler system themselves and can offer me any advice? I've heard that there are really tight tolerances, the resonators almost come into contact with the fiberglass on the fuel tank. If it's too much of a PITA I'd rather just take it to a local exhaust shop. I only have jacks, rampsand jackstands available at home to do the work. I don't want to get halfway through the project and have to get it towed somewhere to finish. I haven't had to do that yet (knock on wood) with all of my other upgrades. I've installed the off-road h-pipe and several axle-back systems but I hear that getting the exhaust tube from around the rear axle on my current setup which is all one pipe (unlike the pypes system which comes apart in pieces), can be a real problem. Now if I just had a lift it would be a piece of cake.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/73912/409069C157AE4125BD1337799F185E41.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes mid-muffler system install advice

moosestang installed this system and
shouldbe checking in soon
Old 04-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I've seen his videos and that was one of the factors pushing me towards the Pypes setup. It looks like he does his work off ramps/jackstands too so that would be great advice. I'll PM him if he doesn't notice this post. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I installed the system on mine last year & did a write-up on it. Do a search & you'll find lots of info on it.If you don't have a lift, you'll need to unbolt the lower ends of the rear shocks, jack the car up more to get the factory over-axle pipeoff.
The hangers on the last pipe on pass side don't fit well & will either need heated up & bent or removed & rewelded on.
Fitment is tricky & might take a few tweaks to align everything up correctly. If you've got the money & don't mind other people working on your car, you might just want a shop to do it.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

When you said "unbolt the rear shocks" you made my mind up. I don't feel like cursing my way through trying to get that axle hump pipe out of there. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Aircare - Just wondering, do you still have the mid-muffler setup on your car? In your pics it looks like you have frpps or stingers...
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

moosestang installed this system and
shouldbe checking in soon
check!

Hey!@ I didn't get a cool hat or any stickers! It is not that hard to install. the hardest part is removing the stock over axle pipes. You'll need to get the back up pretty high and unbolt the shocks to let the rear axle hang. I had to get all 4 corners up off the ground in order to get the stock pipes out. Someone said removing the rear tires would aid in removing the pipes.

Lining up the tips can be a hassle. I had to heat up the passenger side rear most hanger and bend it with a hammer to get it the way I wanted.

Clearance with the gas tank is not an issue. I did have some clearance issues with my passenger side hangers touching the hanger brackets when the exhaust warmed up and the drivers side over axle pipe hitting the panhard bar brace on large bumps. It sounded like a cricket when you stepped on it and would rattle occasionally. I fixed that by removing the hangers and grinding off some of the material where it rubbed. I also widened the bolt holes in the hangers to make them slide back. For the drivers side pipe you need to push up on the connection and hold it while you tighten the clamp. that should get you enough clearance. I'd still like my tips a little higher and the drivers side needs to be straightened some, but it's good enough for government work as they say. There's a good how to on www.americanmuscle.com

They sound great!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

LOL!! yeah,the hat and stickers were the best part. ha! Thanks for the info. I think I'll call my local tuner and just have them do it if they have time tomorrow. They can do the heating and banging while I'm at work. I may just have them do another dyno tune while they're at it. I haven't had one since I bought the car and had the original catted exhaust. I know I'm in dire need of a tune with all the exhaust mods I've done...
Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

That's a great look from behind the car moose. I could have sworn your car was striped!? I'm going to have them mount up the mid-mufflers and then put my MAC's back on. I love the chrome finish and deepness of the MAC's but hate the trumpet at 2.5-3k rpm with the off-road pipe. Hoping the mid-muff/resonators will kill it. We'll see how it sounds. At least I can remove the MAC's and put the Pypes tips back on later myself. I think the MAC's look really good under the rear:

[IMG]local://upfiles/73912/F920E6A956574C50A7788D4A41898F9F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

i do everything myself. sometimes its frustrating but atleast you can say you have done it. anyone can swipe a CC I've saved so much money doing things myself too

Quick Reply: Pypes mid-muffler system install advice