Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Strips.Any tipps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 07:28 PM
INTRUDER
1st Gear Member

Default Adding Strips.Any tipps?

All tips and ideas are welcome.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Adding Strips.Any tipps?

Specifics would probably help you in your quest.
Vinal or paint? Should we assume you are going to be doing it yourself?
If vinal, what brand of vinal? If vinal, did you get them from a vendor? If so, who? If not, and you just have a roll of vinal, back to what brand. Planning on doing just the three flat surfaces or also are you going to do the bumpers? Planning on doing around the license plate well or inside of it too?
Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
dRiBz
2nd Gear Member

you also forgot to mention, color of car and what color you want your stripes. But mainly color of the car. So vague.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:46 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

If you are going to do vinyl, (these are the least expensive and easiest for the normal guy to do), there are detailed instructions at http://www.graphic-express.com/install_2_part.htm and http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/install.htm. Both of these sites have excellent decals at reasonable prices.

A better alternative is to paint the stripes on, although this requires special equipment and you'll probably need a reputable body shop to do it for you. It can be quite expensive, I've seen quotes for over $1000.

My local body shop is working with me. He agreed to let me mask off the stripes and he's going to shoot the car with white paint for me. He's only charging $450 to paint the hood, trunk, front and rear bumpers, and side stripes. Now I'll I have to do is wait for Ford to build imy torch red GT convertible.

By the way, if you want to play with various color combinations, the following site will let you see what they look like ahead of time. http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustan...pePainter.html

Old 04-18-2005, 02:19 AM
INTRUDER
1st Gear Member

Thank you for your responses.
My car is A 05 GT charcoal gray.....I'm added a DARK CHARCOAL stripe with almost the same metal flake in the stripe material that the factory paint has.( The stripe has just a little less speckle in it the the factory)

Vinyl from 3M. A gift from a friend.
What would your suggestions for width of stripe and gap/ distance between the two?
ALL around the bumber to bumber and will fill in the licesnse plate too.
I have done a few (5) cars before and a couple of window tint and assorted other striping.
BUT , this mustang hasn't got a flat surface anyware. Just like doing things right the first time.

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2005, 12:50 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

When I get my mineral gray GT, I am going to put on the painted Boss stripes without the name Boss. Here is the link if you want to see it. http://www.teamshinoda.com/ Then I want to put on the Shelby hood scoop and black out between the tail lights. Hopefully that would look good.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:22 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Most of the Vynil Gt stripes I've seen are 9" wide with a 1" gap between them.

the original dealer installed Shelby Le Mans stripes varied in width from 9 1/4" at the fron to 10 1/2" on the roof an 10" at the rear of the trunk. The gap between the stripes was a constant 2". The following URL shows the specs for the shelby stripes.

http://www.nvsaac.com/Details/Lemans_stripes.htm

Old 04-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Advice...

Hmmm... After you decide Vinyl or paint.. and then the color...

IF you do Vinyl - Read the instructions and be careful not to put them on upside down. The stupid bugs stick to the sticy stuff all the time!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

05GrayGT. I am not meaning this toward your car, or toward your stripe choice. Everyone has thier own taste....

But that team shinoda car is one butt ugly somofabitch....
Old 04-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Loomis
1st Gear Member

I just got mine painted on. But I did vinyl first to make sure that I liked the size and the color that I picked out. Granted the paint was just over 1k but I have no lip where the stripes were added,or bubbles and with the paint you get that glass look that you lose with the vinyl. Vinyl isnt bad if you get the performace stuff, but I would really suggest spending the money to have them painted on. If you plan on keeping the car for a while. IMO I could be wrong.