Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

talk me into a manual :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: talk me into a manual :)

Learning to drive a manual lasts a few weeks until you get used to it.

Being a pu$$y for not driving a stick lasts forever, and it's unlikely you'll ever get used to it..

KIDDING! Really, don't be afraid to learn to drive stick, but only you can decided whether a
stick or automatic works for you The mustang is my first daily driven stick in a long time, and man,
you forget how much you miss it...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Love my stick, wouldnt have it any other way..................but..............does suck ***** at the track!! lol
Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

I know, and understand, why people buy manuals. But to me, it's not a Mustang without a V8 and manual gearbox.
Right.....I guess I drive aHonda Mustang want-a-bethen! To each his own!
I just mean that I wouldn't own anything less. I said I understand why people buy... whooops... meant to say autos. I know why people buy autos, and V6's. But for me, there's no excitement (for me) in an auto or V6.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

I know, and understand, why people buy manuals. But to me, it's not a Mustang without a V8 and manual gearbox.
Right.....I guess I drive aHonda Mustang want-a-bethen! To each his own!
I just mean that I wouldn't own anything less. I said I understand why people buy... whooops... meant to say autos. I know why people buy autos, and V6's. But for me, there's no excitement (for me) in an auto or V6.
+1..

an auto V6 is for lazy people who just wanted the look of a Mustang. there's no problem with that though, because the V6 model has kept the Mustang alive through sales with it's low price for people.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:46 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

For christ's sake.. EVERY one of these threads ALWAYS turns into a war about V8 > V6, stick > auto, blah blah.

To be honest, it's growing rather tiresome. Can't we talk about something more productive, like which supercharger is better?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Wow. just wow. T he 5R55S and the T3650 are only off by .100. I bought my auto due to my original "track" plans. I was going to build off my stock tranny, throw in a stall, build the engine, and make it a drag queen. But, I drive it daily, and enjoy a quiet ride. Now, for those that think Auto is slow, or the Exhaust note does not sound better, way wrong. Most people see my tail lights, even with similar numbers, or I'm right next to them. Face it, you can't shift faster then an auto. Sound wise, I'll try to get a few exhaust clips up for those that disagree they sound worse then a manual.

Back on point- Get what you feel comfortable with. Drive both, and see which one you like better.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joolander

they are more fun, cost less, get less power lost on its way to the wheels, and save on gas

buy a manual [8D]
+1
Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

For christ's sake.. EVERY one of these threads ALWAYS turns into a war about V8 > V6, stick > auto, blah blah.

To be honest, it's growing rather tiresome. Can't we talk about something more productive, like which supercharger is better?
For the record, I did not say there was anythinh wrong with autos or V6's. I just wouldn't buy one. There's no fun in it for me. He got defensive.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grabber

Now, for those that think Auto is slow, or the Exhaust note does not sound better, way wrong. Most people see my tail lights, even with similar numbers, or I'm right next to them. Face it, you can't shift faster then an auto. Sound wise, I'll try to get a few exhaust clips up for those that disagree they sound worse then a manual.

Back on point- Get what you feel comfortable with. Drive both, and see which one you like better.
I think the issue about exhaust sound is not about the tone or loudness/raspiness/any other description of the basic character of the sound itself. It's more about the way the sound changes as the vehicle accelerates. You can always tell an AT car by the way the exhaust note picks up sharply at the beginning and then holds steady (even though you know the vehicle is still accelerating). Or the exhaust note drops off to almost nothing on decel. It's this disconnect between engine rpm and speed (this is permitted by having a torque converter rather than a mechanical friction clutch)that you're aware of at least on a subconscious level that gives it away. To at least some enthusiasts, that sends a mixed message. At best "there goes another drag strip car". At worst, "I really do hope that's an automatic - no clutch should ever be treated THAT badly".

Perhaps another question for the OP to ask himself is "Which one of these is going to work with me better, all driving conditions considered?". And this could go either way, particularly with the S197. Personally, I have zero patience for even normal driving shifting that follows somebody elses thoughts on the matter, and no programming can ever hope to anticipate situations ahead on the road in real time. Never mind a shift that need never have happened in the first place, just one second either too early or too late with a shift either way is somethingI clearly notice even if I'm not the one driving, and I suspect that I'm not alone.

The flip side - I'm trying to be even-handed here in spite of the strength of my own personal preference - is that the base Ford ETC programming isn't very good at letting you give the revs a quick 'blip' to help make downshifts with the manual go a little smoother. Fortunately, most tunes (includingthe FRPP one) do an acceptable job of restoring this just as they improve the matter of auto tranny shifting.

Edit - it's true that you lose a little more torque/power to the automatic in the form of the power required to run its pump and fluid heating in the torque converter. But the torque converter can get you up into the fatter part of your powerband a little better. And at least in some cases the PCM programming can be a little less conservative for the automatic because there's no closed-throttle spike of emissions to be dealt with. Without clocks or other clear reference, it's pretty much a wash with the exception of upshift time during reasonably normal to brisk driving.

Norm