Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TurboHorsePower.com Turbos...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TurboHorsePower.com Turbos...

Will you be installing it yourself?If so,plan on using up all your vacation time. I completely agree with MustangGT0405 about havingthe tuning done by a pro. Getting my STS twins tuned via. e-mail through STS has been a bit of a hastle. The finished product is truely impressive, but it was a big hill to climb, and it took a lot of time and patience. If I were to take on another DIY power adder project, it would not be a turbo, regardless of who the manufacturer is, or how clean and simple they claim the installation to be.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

This kit is so bad *** but its very expenisve though also

http://www.exileturbo.com/products/i...p?idProduct=51
Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Steve O Chap- 2 things.

One is take roots SC off your list. Not worth the $$, get a good twin screw like Whipple, Saleen, or KB, for positive displacement blowers.

Second, good luck going FI for under $5k. Can you do it sure, but it isnt easy or the "best" way to do it.

FI requires alot of supporting mods to make it work right, suspension gauges, clutch, tiresetc.

Plus most basic "kits" dont come with everything you need. So you have to add more parts. Installing yourself is good but you might have to buy tools so factor that in too.

IMO, you have3 options for that kind of $$. One is the Non-Intercooled Vortech (or paxton same thing), Aftercooled vortech, or base procharger kit. Then scrape up the money for some gauges, pods of some type, tools, and incidentals, like fluids. Just might get out for $5k. The non-int vortech would be no problem.

Then you can grow the kit and make great power. Just look at the Brenspeed Vortech package. Starts with a base non-intercooled vortech kit and with more parts make 500bhp.

The final option is to save a few more bucks if you want something more.

I did tons of research and cross shopping to find the best deals and I paid $7k for everything and I paid $1k under MSRP for the blower.

I know I have said alot already and you might not agree with me but here is my best advice. Dont think about cost right now. If you are dropping this kind of money you plan on keeping the car a real long time. So figure out what you really want, and then work to buy that. Dont buy something just because you can only afford X but want Y. 5 years from now you will kick yourself.

You get the idea.

Sorry if it sounds preachy but in the end just make sure you are happy and that is all that matter.

C ya.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

^^ Thanks for the post MustangGT0405. I definitely don't find it as a preachy email. I posted the question in hopes that those with some experience could help out and you've been a big help.

Youmake a good point in regards to making sure I'm getting what I want. My only concern is that I don't know anyone with a twin screw around me that I can see/hear/feel. So, I'm a bit hesitant to go that route without any experience with it. I've been around turbo mustangs for a while now, and they have performed great and never let the owners down yet (one has about 35k on his turbo).

As far as installation, me and my buddies have installed 2 turbos and 1 s/c with no issues. So I'm sure we could tackle another install... that's half the fun of buying it. (Ok, maybe not HALF the fun)

You
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Hmm, I wonder if they want to sponsor me
Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steve O Chap

^^ Thanks for the post MustangGT0405. I definitely don't find it as a preachy email. I posted the question in hopes that those with some experience could help out and you've been a big help.

Youmake a good point in regards to making sure I'm getting what I want. My only concern is that I don't know anyone with a twin screw around me that I can see/hear/feel. So, I'm a bit hesitant to go that route without any experience with it. I've been around turbo mustangs for a while now, and they have performed great and never let the owners down yet (one has about 35k on his turbo).

As far as installation, me and my buddies have installed 2 turbos and 1 s/c with no issues. So I'm sure we could tackle another install... that's half the fun of buying it. (Ok, maybe not HALF the fun)

You
I would give Jim a call and talk to him about what you are looking for. I'm sure he can answer all your question and build you a setup that will fit your needs. The only thing about a single turbo as opposed to a TS is keeping the cats. If emission legal is required for your location you will have a hard time with a single turbo kit. The Hellion will keep the cats but at the expense of ground clearance. The TS’s, Whipple, KB and Saleen, are very reliable and I think you would be happy with one. You can get the base Whipple, without the intercooler, within your budget and add the HO upgrade kit at a later date if you want more power.

Earl

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
gmascagni
1st Gear Member

Personally I looked at all these turbo kits before I decided on the Power House kit. I think they were first to market with a Turbo for the 05's and IMO it's the BEST balanced kit of any turbo system out there. I have had the kit for over 15k miles and absoulutly no issues. My other buddy has had his kit on for 30k miles and no issues what so ever. I don't know of a single Power House kit that has lead to grenading a motor as well. If your looking for a Turbo you really need to call Mike @powerhouse and talk to him. The nicest guy you will ever meet. I installed this in my garage during the christmas holidays two years ago and Mike helped called me back on Christmas day. Now that's customer service! I've been running with 500RWHP+ over a year and half now and I'm still a very very happy camper. His kit includes everything you need to run 500RWHP. The only thing I did was get a dyno tune. This is a no brainer if your consideirng getting any system.

Do some search on Power House Turbo kit you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
gmascagni
1st Gear Member

Here is my dyno on the Power House Turbo 67mm

[IMG]local://upfiles/46246/D7F48B11DB0E4A1088DCB9F2A2F16098.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Steve - Where do you live?

If you are concerned about having problems with a twin screw dont. Thousands of people have installed them with no issues. In my opinion the Whipple and Saleen are practically OEM. Everything fits, everything is there. I cant say they drop right on but they were designed be people who really knew what they were doing.

As far as feeling, it is like a big block. Power and torque everywhere, I am near peak boost at like 2k-6k rpms. It doesnt have that rubber band like sling shot feeling of a turbo, or the 2 stroke like pull of a centri. Just power everywhere.

I am biased but as far as sound, I would put the whine of a positive displacement blower up against a waste gate blow off. Both sound great but the whine is it for me.

I am not trying to stear you toward the Whipple or anything, like I said get exactly what you want, in the end it is you it has to please. But I know if you got a whipple you would not be unhappy. You would be smiling for months (although and FI will probably do that)

Plus you can be different. You can be the TS guy, People will hear you coming.

Good Luck

Thanks for not taking the post the wrong way, but I had to sell my motorcycle and save for 3 years to get my blower so I really appreciate what it takes to buy one. Just want people to enjoy thier purchase.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I live in Kingwood, TX which is about 30 miles northeast of Houston. So, I'm sure there are some twin screw s/c somewhere around here... I just dont know anyone with them.

Funny you should mention selling your bike. I have been riding/racing 600cc supersports for about 8 years now and am thinking about getting out of it. My wife and I are hoping to start a family soon and she doesn't really want me riding once we have kids (which I understand why). So, if the bike goes then I'll have the ability to spend a bit more $$ on an FI system... whichever it turns out to be. Thanks again for all your input, I appreciate it.

gmascagni -
That's a very impressive dyno graph. Both of my buddies with the Hellion turbos are putting out a shade over 450hp if I remember correctly. Looks like you have them beat rather handily!

Quick Reply: TurboHorsePower.com Turbos...