Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying O/R H pipe and muffler questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Nighthawk2008
1st Gear Member

Default Modifying O/R H pipe and muffler questions

I put Pypes O/R H pipes and MAC mufflers on my car last weekend. I have to say Pypes should really work on thier quality control. All the bends were correct but the upper O2 sensor bung (green wire) was off a little and put the sensor touching the tranny. Also on the passenger side the expanded end where the other pipe slides up into was too large and wouldn't tighten down enough so I had an exhaust leak.

Today I finally broke out the tig welder and tacked the pipes under the car. I took them off and welded all the pipes together. (Just the4 pc Hpipe, not the pipes over the axle.) Also I cut out the bung and angled it away from the tranny like the factory one on the cats and welded it back in. Installed it back under the car and exhaust leak is gone and everthing is how it should be.

Now for my problem. Ever since I installed the MAC muffs there has been arattling sound coming from the driver side muffler. It doesn't do it all the time but usually I can hear it when it idles at lower speeds and it disappears at higher RPMs. When I took it out of the box I heard something rattle so I shook it but nothing came out. I figured whatever it was would blow out after I run it for awhile.

My question is, what is inside the mufflers? Is it just chambers or is there maybe steel wool type packing in there? Is there something in there that could have broke during shipping and is rattling around at lower RPMs when there isn't as much pressure bulit up in there? If so would it be possible to take it back off and try and shake it out or should I contact the dealer and send it back for a new one?

Any tips or advice you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Modifying O/R H pipe and muffler questions

I had the same exact problem with the slp lm's. I was at the dealer getting something done, i dont remember what, but i asked them to just tighten up all the bolts for me.. problem fixed.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Nighthawk2008
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Modifying O/R H pipe and muffler questions

whtcanbrwnd04u, guess its always the simple things you should start with huh?I went back to the garage to check the bolts and they were tight. But while I was under there I did notice that the solid rod on the muffler was almost touching the metal hanger where it pushed through the rubber insert. So I tapped it a few times and it rattled against the hanger. So I removed the muffler (shook it to make sure nothing was in there and I guess whatever it was had blown out) and bent the rod using a vice. When I reinstalled the muffler, the rod was far enough away from the hanger that it wouldn't touch. Took it down the road and problem solved.

Guess it goes to show, its always best to start with the simple things first.