Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next mod question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:55 AM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Default Next mod question...

Now that my ride is all fixed up, I'm moving on to the next mod project...

Which should I get installed first, why, and any recommendations?

1. Short shifter (Steeda, B&M)
2. Gauges (Which pod to use, which gauges to use and why)

My budget for this round of modification is approximately $400 dollars.

So...what you got?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Next mod question...

current mods are_____________
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

[sm=oopssign.gif]
Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Current mods consist of:
[ul][*]Saleen supercharger[*]Cervinis C-300 Body Kit[*]HHR springs[*]Shorty antenna (did that one myself!)[/ul]
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

If you don't have any gauges yet for the supercharger, you should at LEAST have a boost gauge. That'll tell you if the supercharger is behaving as it should, and it looks cool. If you beat on it a lot, you'll want a wideband O2. You'll also need to figure out where you want to put the gauge(s). If you're only getting one gauge, then put it in one of the dash vents. I have my boost gauge in the driver's side center vent. It looks awesome, and very stealth-like. Silver face matches the dash.

You own a stick, with like $6k worth of body work, probably $3k worth of wheels and rubber, and a $6k blower, and you still have the STOCK shifter?!? That piece of **** needs to go, but don't replace it with a Steeda or a B&M. Do yourself a favor and get an MGW. It's worth EVERY penny. I'm sure you can find someone local to you that has one and give it a try. If I was anywhere near Vegas I'd let you run through mine.

HTH, just my $.02, YMMV, all the standard disclaimers.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

I know that I'm long overdue for the boost gauge, I get harassed all the time by friends that have them! Do you have any pics of the gauge installed in your ride? Where did you get the necessary mounting accessories? What brand of gauge do you have?

As far as the shifter goes, once again, I know that I'm long overdue for that mod also! I've tested the B&M shifter in a friend's ride and liked it, how does the MGW compare?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Sorry about the strange pic, but at the moment, it's the best shot I've got of it.

http://mustang.dnsalias.com/pics/lis...d=fgzmorjqlzst

If you're going to get more than 1 gauge, then you'll need somewhere to mount them. Either A-piller or a dash pod. I personally am going to get the Shelby center dash pod when I get my wideband. It's available from shelbyperformanceparts.com or whatever the website is.. The uncut one (you cut it to accept any size gauge you buy) is only like $149 or something, if memory serves. I'm all about it. There's a guy in the local club that has a Super Snake, and it has that pod in it. The fit and finish matches the rest of the dashboard perfectly, it looks like it belongs in the car and like it should have come that way from Ford.

The MGW is the #1 shifter for these cars. Do a quick search on it, you'll come up with hundreds of satisfied customers. It kicks ***. Plus, wait'll you see side-by-side comparison pictures of the MGW vs the other ones. I know someone posted them on here a while ago..
Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

I just checked out a few threads on the MGW...wow!I am sold on that shifter for sure!

As far as the gauges, I'm really interested in the vent pod like the one you have. I know you can get them on Ebay, and on the Roush site. I don't have much experience installing gauges though...what kind should I consider? Mechanical or electrical? Can I install a boost gauge myself? If I went with two vent pod gauges, what should the second gauge be (boost being the first)?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the MGW shifter, I love mine. That will wipe out 300 bucks which impacts your overall budget and not leaving very much for the gauge and pod.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

...looks like I'm going to have to find some more money somewhere!!!

Quick Reply: Next mod question...