Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Headers vs Short Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Long Headers vs Short Headers

OK..since everyone who has posted so far has been Pro-longtube.. I'm gonna speak up on the Pro Shortie side of the story...

First off, whoever says that shorties get you 1-3 hp needs to wake the hell up. My shorties did alot more for my top end than my UDP's did, and they are conseravtively quoted at 7. Next, where shorties really shine and where most longtubes lack except in highly modified motors, is in torque production. I won't have dyno numbers until the end of May, but I would easily say my shorties netted me almost as much torque as my CAI/tune combo did. The way longtubes are set up, on a pretty stock motor, with stock type cams, Torque production will be hurt due to less effective scavenging. Long tubes are great for flowing large quantities of exhaust, but when how well it flows matters more than how much, they just fall short.

I garentee you that everyone who posted bad stuff about shortiesd in this thread has no hands on experience with them and is spouting out crap that they heard from a guy who has a friend who knows a guy that once talked to someone who had shorties back in the early 80's... My daily driver has shorties, and a good friend of mine has long tubes and all other mods are the same. The biggest difference between us on the track? My 60' times are about .1 to .15 better than his, he generally traps about 1 to 1.5 mph higher than me. Until the 1/8th I am usually in the lead, at the 1000' we are neck and neck and by the traps, he pulls about 1/8th car
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

OK..since everyone who has posted so far has been Pro-longtube.. I'm gonna speak up on the Pro Shortie side of the story...

First off, whoever says that shorties get you 1-3 hp needs to wake the hell up. My shorties did alot more for my top end than my UDP's did, and they are conseravtively quoted at 7. Next, where shorties really shine and where most longtubes lack except in highly modified motors, is in torque production. I won't have dyno numbers until the end of May, but I would easily say my shorties netted me almost as much torque as my CAI/tune combo did. The way longtubes are set up, on a pretty stock motor, with stock type cams, Torque production will be hurt due to less effective scavenging. Long tubes are great for flowing large quantities of exhaust, but when how well it flows matters more than how much, they just fall short.

I garentee you that everyone who posted bad stuff about shortiesd in this thread has no hands on experience with them and is spouting out crap that they heard from a guy who has a friend who knows a guy that once talked to someone who had shorties back in the early 80's... My daily driver has shorties, and a good friend of mine has long tubes and all other mods are the same. The biggest difference between us on the track? My 60' times are about .1 to .15 better than his, he generally traps about 1 to 1.5 mph higher than me. Until the 1/8th I am usually in the lead, at the 1000' we are neck and neck and by the traps, he pulls about 1/8th car
+1

nothing but positive things to say about my BBK shorties!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

I'd get LT's but I can't justify 1300 beans not to mention at least 600 to install them, just because people say they are the best. I would have to say bang for the buck and versatility for me is Shorties with a bolt in off road x that you can swap back in your catted H for emissions inspections (in PA anyway) is the best way to go.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

At least $600 to install them? Woah buddy!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i paid like 350 for my RH LT install, including new motor mounts
Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

From what I was quoted from shops like Alternative Auto & MRT, shorties can be equally as difficult to install as long tubes. And they simply recommend, "assuming your doing this in your own garage" if your going to jack up the engine, remove the starter, remove the steering shaft, might as well do the LT. No difference in procedure. I installed mine in about 9hrs.

From what I've heard in person, the LT will net better results in HP and TQ. + will sound a little deeper. LT have that hollow sound to them. You can usually tell a car has LT just by the sound. Shorties from what I've heard in person, will still deepen up the sound, but not as much. I know most people have stated in the past "OEM flows pretty good", that's true. But anything is better than stock, at least in the exhaust department. As stated above, the benefit of shorties is you have more choices in matching midpipes. LT, must use the matching one, or spend the money to have your existing one "like your stock H" cut to match, which usually rules out ever going back to stock. Unless your in California, then forget LT. Not worth the risk usually.

One thing nobody mentioned is the difference in the primaries. 1 5/8 is best for NA cars. 1 3/4 for FI. I Bought my MAC LT + prochamber for less than $700 new so it doesn't have to cost you an arm and leg to have a LT setup.

Cartel, if you decide on LT I know a guy in MI that has brand new JBA LT ceramics + O/R H for $650. That's a pretty good deal.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

with just long tubes along i gained 5 tenths ad 4 mph using stock mufflers still. ive used shorties b4 but ive used long tubes on my last 2 cars and both cars gained 5 tenths in the 1/4 mile......i will never use shorties again. and really bang for buck my OBX long tubes r a very good quality and check out my trap speed in my sig. should explain everything
Old 04-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cartel

I have4 questions on Headers..............
[ol][*]Whats the difference between long and short headers?[*]Which gives more horsepower?[*]Are they hard to install?[*]Do they change the sound of the car?[/ol]
The search button is ur friend, use it. There are a ton of threads on this already.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
cartel
2nd Gear Member

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

[quote] ORIGINAL: Mustang3GT07
The search button is ur friend, use it. There are a ton of threads on this already. [quote]

[sm=lame.gif]

Old 04-23-2008, 03:24 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cartel

[sm=wakeup.gif]

ORIGINAL: howarmat

have you tried the search feature yet?
Trust me, I love this Forum with all my heart, howamart.......But I must admit that the search feature suckssss..It just doesnt work.....I would prefer freshly writeninformation anyway.....Ill have to study andbecome arocket scientist just to figure out that search feature....
I was wondering if I was the only one who thought so. I'm on a lot of forums and this one by far takes the cake. The search feature blows !!

Quick Reply: Long Headers vs Short Headers