Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Headers vs Short Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:33 PM
cartel
2nd Gear Member

Default Long Headers vs Short Headers

I have4 questions on Headers..............
[ol][*]Whats the difference between long and short headers?[*]Which gives more horsepower?[*]Are they hard to install?[*]Do they change the sound of the car?[/ol]
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Long Headers vs Short Headers

have you tried the search feature yet?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:56 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

A a general rule, long tube headers will provide the biggest gains.
Since the factory exhaust manifolds on S197 GT cars are much better than most, you won't see much gain from shorty headers. Gains from shorty headers on these cars are typically 10 - 15 hp at best.
Long tube headers with high flow cats or off road pipe (no cats) will vary between 20 - 30 hp. The long tubes with no cats providing the highest gains.
A new tune will be required to take full advantage of long tubes and to prevent a possible excessive lean condition under wide open throttle.
Long tubes will also provide the benefit of a cooler running engine because you are removing that cast iron lump from the side of the head which is really good at retaining heat. This has an indirect power gain via better heat dissipation and a cooler engine compartment.
You will find the pricing of long tube headers varies greatly from approx $300 - $1500
Some people will try and tell you that the least expensive headers (OBX branded) are inferior but from what I've seen here on this forum and others, some repuatable people who have them have reported that they are very good quality.
I have the ARH (American Racing Headers). These are probably the best headers out there for S197s but they are also the most expensive.
If you're on a budget the OBX headers are probably your best choice. Power per dollar is probably the best I've seen. They are less expensive than some brands of shorty headers and will definitely provide bigger power gains.

In regards to sound. All other things being equal they will change the sound but that's purely subjective.
I am running ARH headers w/ high flow cats and an x-pipe with the stock mufflers. It sounds a little different at idle but when you get on it, it sounds considerably different. Some people who have heard it didn't want to beleive that I still had the stock mufflers.
Again, purely a subjective thing. In my case I changed the front portion of the exhaust system first as it was the part that held the biggest potential for power gain.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

yeah right...try 3-5 hp from the shorties and 10-15 from the long headers...
yes the sound will change...

and no they're not too hard to install, but they are by no means the easiest bolt on to throw on...especially if you don't have access to a lift.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

LT's are better, more hp, hard to install, and makes the sound deeper and louder.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

1-3 rwhp from shorties with stock CATs and10-15 rwhp from LT's and Hiflow Catted X-Pipe on mild bolt-on cars.
However the long tubes can give 7-10% gains in the midrange.

Now on a Supercharged car making close to 500 rwhp you could see a 40+ rwhp gain from LT's with High-Flow Cats.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

sorry but when i added ARH lts and o/r h i didnt gain near 20-30 HP......10-15 maybe
Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
cartel
2nd Gear Member

[sm=wakeup.gif]

ORIGINAL: howarmat

have you tried the search feature yet?
Trust me, I love this Forum with all my heart, howamart.......But I must admit that the search feature suckssss..It just doesnt work.....I would prefer freshly writeninformation anyway.....Ill have to study andbecome arocket scientist just to figure out that search feature....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Another thing to consider is that when you get LT's, you HAVE to use their midpipe. If you get shortys, you have many many many options.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
cartel
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone.....I now know what im ghonna buy

Quick Reply: Long Headers vs Short Headers