Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMR vs. Livernois

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MMR vs. Livernois

Neither

Larry_H

Ozark American Performance

Phone: 479-644-4077

Email: LHAYS1953@Yahoo.com

You only need a clean room if you are machining parts at the same time you are assembling engines.
The purpose of a clean room is to keep the particles from other parts currently being machined from getting into the engine.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 AM
ApexStang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks to the OP for this thread. Ever since reading about the dude who blew up his stock engine with the Saleen at 12 PSI, I have been researching how to go about getting forged internals. My 1st thought was to just go with a stoker kit. I found one at Haney Motorsports for $1800. Now I'm researching the short blocks through MMR and Livernois. The MMR is nearly $1800 cheaper.

The one difference I noticed though is the Livernois price includes a Aluminum block where as the MMR is a iron block. I'm wondering what the weight difference is between the two???

Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

The difference is around 40lbs. Remember the livernois block is warrantied up to a year and up to 1k hp. If you want to compare shortblocks compare the livernois to the MMR 1.1k hp block. I would go with the aluminium block

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm...if I upgraded the internals instead of just getting another block...what is the max hp the stock block can handle with forged internals???
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
ApexStang
2nd Gear Member

Very good question. I called my local speed shop today at FastLane Motorsports in Benson, NC and they said I had 2 options:

1. Buy a new Aluminum Block with Forged Rotating Assembly
2. Buy a forged rotating assembly for my stock block

They said the result is the same but option 2 will save me some money. The only problem with option 2 is the amount of down time involved with tearing the motor down, porting and polishing the heads etc....

I'm guessing the savings will be about $2 Grand to go with option 2, but I'm guessing I'll be without my ride for a month when all said and done. My stang is not my DD, so I might just go that route to save the cash.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

The aluminum blocks are good for 900+ hp. Depending on what internals/options you go with, the internals will handle more power than the block itself. There are a few oiling "tricks" that need to be done for High hp / rpm to live long!

When shopping for a short block or rotating assembly, make sure you read over the included products carefully. We believe that if you are planning to invest in a quality product, why skimp on certain things to save a few bucks! For example, everyone of our Mod short blocks receives ARP main studs. Why risk using the factory TTY main bolts[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Casey
Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

The MMR block in my car includes a new 04 Cobra iron block. It must be heavier than an aluminum block and maybe more than 40 lbs, but I'm thinking it's stronger too. Mine is the rated at 950 rear wheel or well over 1000 hp.

Just how fast do you want to go anyway?

This is vid of my car from last friday and we haven't tried the 20 lb tune yet
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=10-6a.flv
Old 04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
05Saleen#243
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ApexStang

The one difference I noticed though is the Livernois price includes a Aluminum block where as the MMR is a iron block. I'm wondering what the weight difference is between the two???

MMR will upgrade to the aluminum block for $730
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

The MMR block in my car includes a new 04 Cobra iron block. It must be heavier than an aluminum block and maybe more than 40 lbs, but I'm thinking it's stronger too. Mine is the rated at 950 rear wheel or well over 1000 hp.

Just how fast do you want to go anyway?

This is vid of my car from last friday and we haven't tried the 20 lb tune yet
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=10-6a.flv
Still haven't seen a failed engine due to a block rupture. This aluminium blocks are very very strong.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaneyMotorsport.Com

The aluminum blocks are good for 900+ hp. Depending on what internals/options you go with, the internals will handle more power than the block itself. There are a few oiling "tricks" that need to be done for High hp / rpm to live long!

When shopping for a short block or rotating assembly, make sure you read over the included products carefully. We believe that if you are planning to invest in a quality product, why skimp on certain things to save a few bucks! For example, everyone of our Mod short blocks receives ARP main studs. Why risk using the factory TTY main bolts[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Casey
Most build shortblocks already come with ARP hardware. BTW what oil tricks are you referring to?

Quick Reply: MMR vs. Livernois