Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:01 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Default Strange HID problem

I have a set of Stangmods HIDs installed on my car and the problem is that when I turn them on (engineon and off)sometimes the bulbs will flash once and burn out. Sometime it's just one and sometimes it's both. If I try turnig them on again they stay lit and work fine. The relays appear to be working fine as there is no flashing with the engine on. I have tried new ballasts and a new wiring harness. The only thing I have not done yet is try new bulbs. The power wire is connected to the fuse box and the two grounds are connected to fender bolts. I have a new kit on the way as I type this, but has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible my car just won't work with HIDs. It's a pain because whenever I need to use my lights I have to get out of the car to make sure they are both lit.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:06 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Strange HID problem

how long have you had them in!?... i am about to get get.. (not from stangmods) but have been trying to see if anyone has had any troubles wiht HIDs in the stangs.. but honestly.. doesnt sound like that major of a deal.. there should be some kind of warranty going on there!?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

well, if you've tried new ballasts and bulbs, it must be the igniters. thats pretty characteristic of an igniter, its not "firing up" the bulb long enough for the ballasts to take over. but reguardless, an entire new kit should fix the issue.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:16 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

There is a warranty and that is why I'm getting a new kit. It has done this from the start by the way. They have been great over at Stangmods with getting this issue resolved. They're even letting me install the new kit before I send the old one back. They opted to send me a new kit instead of just new bulbs so hopefully this will be the solution.

As for problems in our cars, as long as you get a kit with the proper relays installed alread you should have no issues. It would be even better if it came with pure plug and play connectors like the Stangmods kit. They also said the problem I am having is very uncommon so I wouldn't worry about it to much. Also, make sure you get the kit from someone who will cover it with a warranty, and honor it.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

My first set of Stangmods HID were bad they would flicker to high beams, I had them replaced they just arrived yesterday they sent me the Bixenon slim ballast these have a 3yr warranty so if they go bad I will send them back again. So if I were you I would send them back ASAP.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Javdog

My first set of Stangmods HID were bad they would flicker to high beams, I had them replaced they just arrived yesterday they sent me the Bixenon slim ballast these have a 3yr warranty so if they go bad I will send them back again. So if I were you I would send them back ASAP.
That's the same kit I got from them. Hopefully you won't have a problem. And Itold them I needed the lights I have now to drive so they sent me the new kit and just told me to send the old one back at my convenience.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

Personaly I am not impressed with their customer service It cost me $13 to send them back, its not the $13 its the fact that the HID were defective and then I had to pay to send them back thats shi**ty service. Good luck with yours rmssch89 I hope the replacements work out good.