Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Robie

Default Hurst Shifter

several months ago I installed a Hurst shifter in my 05 Stang, 5sp. Took it back out 2 weeks ago cause it shifted hard & missed 3rd everytime I shifted fast. Yea, I installed it right, double checked everything twice. I should have gone with the MGW & probably will now. My ? is I just saw a Hurst comp. plus shifter for about $280, looks alot beefier than mine & has adj. stops. Anybody seen this guy or has 1?? No biggie, just courious. I'll prob. go MGW either way.
Another thing. I'm pretty set on the Whipple S.C. & theres a Mustang preformance shop near me who swears by the KB S.C. (Kenny Bell has his shop down the street) Price is about the same, I can save about a grand if I install the Whipple myself. No biggie there either, I was a mechanic most my life. Any input??
1 more thing (& this is great) I bought my 05 Stang 4.6-3v 5sp 2nd hand from a dealer with 38k on the odometer. In the owners manual was the original owners old regestration slip who by chance lives about 10 miles from me. Turns out hebought the Ford premium deluxe 7-year, 75000 extended warrantywith it. I got ahold of him & we went down to the dealer he bought it from & for $50.00 transferd the warranty over to me!! kewl-huh. Funny thing though, he didn't reconize his Stang when I pulled in the dealer to meet him. When he had it it was all white & now it has side scoops, hood scoop, Shelby type rear spoiler, front & rear ground effects & side ground effects & red stripes going down thecenter! Car only had 45 miles on it since he sold it & it got to me---go figure

[IMG]local://upfiles/74202/E0510BD57CFB4D19B217032DE474792F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst Shifter

It might not be just the Hurst. I had the same problem missing third after installing the MGW. I figured the motor was torquing too much and causing deflection. I bought the CHE K Member Brace with Torque Limiters and all has been well since. It's got a little NVH but but that's because I've got the one with rod ends.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Robie

good thought, I'll look into that
Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its not he shifter, you need motor mounts or torq limiters
Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Matt is correct. I had trouble with 3rd gear "repeatedly". Friend told me that the shifter was the problem. Got the Hurst. STILL had issues with 3rd gear. Went with longtube headers and at the same time Steeda HD motor mounts with the stiff black poly bushings. No more gear misses. Much more solid shifts.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Hell, I wanted to put the torque limiters ontoo after feeling how much difference the motor mounts madebut they won't work with longtube headers.

After about a month with the hurst I decided that I needed to try the MGW and haven't looked back. Great shifter!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I love being right.

I just wish CHE would design a different K Member brace for the models that use the rod ends instead of poly ends. [:@]
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

they only work with some LTs
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yep, you were right Thumper. I'd love to add the torque limiters if they'd work with longtubes. Whole lot of action being wasted with these "hyda-mounts". Guess you have to satisfy the "masses" that don't like any "vibration" in their late model "muscle" cars. I love it when Edmunds or MSN autos "experts" do a review and talk about how they "LOVE" the exhaust note but don't like any external vibrations. lol!

I can feel the vibrations through the floorboard now with my longtubes, off-road pipe and new motor mounts. Personally I love it!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Me too, I want to feel like the car is solid. I want to do long tubes or shorties and motor mounts so bad but I'm not feeling the work that is going to be involved.[8D]

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter