Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Default Repairing paint chips

On a recent road trip I picked up about 8 stone chips on the front of my car. I made the mistake of using a rural road that had sand/gravel applied due to recent snow/ice (Thanks Montana, does spring ever come in your area?). Anyway I got stuck behind some slow moving trucks and you know the rest. Each time I'd get close to them to try and pass, a car was coming or there was a sharp turn in the road, and each time I got sprayed by stones.

Most of the chips are down to the metal, but fortunately fairly small.

Anybody have success with paint pens? They seem like the best option. It looks like I will require primer, paint and clearcoat.

http://www.paintscratch.com/

One thing that has me wondering is the suggestion to sand the area following application of primer. How can I do this without damagin the paint around the chip?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Repairing paint chips

I'm in the process of repairing some chips of my own I ordered the langka product and got the touch up paint from dealer
Old 04-29-2008, 11:36 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

I highly recommend every mustang owner go out and get the Venture Shield installed immediately after purchase. It pays for itself in the first few chips.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
StangAddiction

I have done many touch-ups on my past vehicles and 1 on my present Stang. I am in the process of doing a couple touch-ups on my wifes SUV. From what I have read, researched, and talked to autobody professionals, the best way is the right way which requires time and patience. Years ago whenI started my first repairs I use to put a blob of paint on and call it done.

I could type out all the info, but I will post the link to where it explains exactly what I do and it works great. Don't be afraid of sandpaper, very fine paper is easy to polish out with special polishing creams from 3M, Meguires, and Mothers. Just don't forget to soak the wet/dry sandpaper for several hours before the work. This takes time, but is worth it.

Just scroll down the list to where it talks about paint chips. Theres alot of other good info on there.

----> http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-p...sh-clinic.html
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vtmustangs

I'm in the process of repairing some chips of my own I ordered the langka product and got the touch up paint from dealer
I've heard about this product before...how did it work for you?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

I took a closer look at my car today in the light of day and the front bumper has a million tiny nicks. Looks like I will just need to get the whole thing repainted. In addition, the lenses for the lights and turn signals are nicked. I am so angry. I cannot believe the damage done to my car in a matter of minutes. It was pratically flawless a couple months ago.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

ORIGINAL: vtmustangs

I've heard about this product before...how did it work for you?
I will let you know later had to let things dry. I don't think it will look as good as new but as you know on the black stangs those little white chips stick out especially after you give it a good wash and wax.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

To StangAddiction, that link is excellent! I'm looking forward to using some of the techniques soon. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

alright Tpony this is for you I just got done using the langka stuff on my black stang. I didn't take any pics because it was hard to capture the little chips on camera. In order to use this process you must get a tube of paint from dealer. What this system basically does is after you apply the paint it gets ride of the blob like look of it. You have to rub some solution over the chip until just the chip is painted. Then you apply some sealent that is included and you are done. I think it was worth the $30 personally. Does it look perfect? No and I will probably always be able to see them just because it is my car but it looks better then when you try to just touch it up with factory paint and it seals it.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Update:

I made an claim through my insurance company and took the car in for an estimate.

$3552!!

They are going to repaint the bumper, hood, front fenders, roof, replace the headlamps and foglamps and even the pony emblem. Funny thing is, it didn't even occur to me at first to makean insurance claim. My deductible is $200.

Don't drive down Montana roads in winter (which lasts until late April apparently).

Quick Reply: Repairing paint chips