Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compare to a S197?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compair to a S197?

Yeah a girl at my school just got a new G37 Coupe and I was next to her at the stop light today and we were talking and then when the light turned green, yes, to my own surprise, I turned down the radio so I could hear her twin turbo as it roared away (I presumed)...instead it sounded like, well,...a box bull of bees...haha
And when you look at it...it's kinda fat looking, not that sporty, little visibility, lacks the aggressive posture...anyways, it's nice I guess...but if I was gonna spend that much on a car I could buy a Shelby down here...and that is a much nicer car than the G37
Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A_Drunken_Llama

Yeah a girl at my school just got a new G37 Coupe and I was next to her at the stop light today and we were talking and then when the light turned green, yes, to my own surprise, I turned down the radio so I could hear her twin turbo as it roared away (I presumed)...instead it sounded like, well,...a box bull of bees...haha
And when you look at it...it's kinda fat looking, not that sporty, little visibility, lacks the aggressive posture...anyways, it's nice I guess...but if I was gonna spend that much on a car I could buy a Shelby down here...and that is a much nicer car than the G37
G-37's don't have a twin turbo. They do sound a bit like a "box of bees" but when you're sitting inside one it sounds real good at higher revs; again I'm talking about the G35 but I assume the 37 will sound similiar. Not the same sound as an American V8 but a more symphonic sound. I like.

Agree about the looks though... it's a little bit wierd, not exactly classic sports car proportions but still...
Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

330 Flywheel horsepower and only 270 F lbs of torque, Should we not be faster?? Especially with 3.73 gears? What gear would they have from the factory?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Well if you get rid of your car do you want to sell me those brackets and lcas?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Apples & Oranges

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Apples & Oranges!

I really don't think its fair to compare the Mustang to either the G35, G37 or the BMW.
The imports are more expensive, with it very easy to add another $5-8,000 or more in options, especially with the new 1 series BMW. Go ahead and price one now, with you won't believe the total price) And you won't get any deals on the new models and have to use Premium gas all times.
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/1series/2...12%7C%7C424d57

The cars are nice, don't get me wrong, but all that extra money mostly goes into gadgets for comfort and convenience. You'll get your money's worth if those are the important thing to you. But if you would rather buy a new car you can give a unique appearance or performance to, they're not the right choice.

I agree they are apples & orange, hell the BMW and InfinitI are 10K+ more then then stang.
If I do make a change it will probably be towards luxury but i also want the performance there.
Of course none of them are going to sound as good as a Mustang.

But a Shelby is just another Mustang, why would i get rid of a Mustang to buy another Mustang?
A Shelby GT is not even close to being worth what they are asking for one, and a GT500 is not even worth the over inflated prices they are asking for one.

ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

If I do make a move it will not be for a while.
I have to think long and hard about it before i do it and then I would want to pay some bills off first.
But if I do I will be pulling off my aftermarkets and putting them on the forum.

Thanks for the input guys, I will probably get test drive a few different cars this weekend and see what's what.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Apples & Oranges!

I really don't think its fair to compare the Mustang to either the G35, G37 or the BMW.
The imports are more expensive, with it very easy to add another $5-8,000 or more in options, especially with the new 1 series BMW. Go ahead and price one now, with you won't believe the total price) And you won't get any deals on the new models and have to use Premium gas all times.
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/1series/2...12%7C%7C424d57

The cars are nice, don't get me wrong, but all that extra money mostly goes into gadgets for comfort and convenience. You'll get your money's worth if those are the important thing to you. But if you would rather buy a new car you can give a unique appearance or performance to, they're not the right choice.

I agree they are apples & orange, hell the BMW and InfinitI are 10K+ more then then stang.
If I do make a change it will probably be towards luxury but i also want the performance there.
Of course none of them are going to sound as good as a Mustang.

But a Shelby is just another Mustang, why wouldI get rid of a Mustang to buy another Mustang?
A Shelby GT is not even close to being worth what they are asking for one, and a GT500 is not even worth the over inflated prices they are asking for one.

ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

If I do make a move it will not be for a while.
I have to think long and hard about it before i do it and then I would want to pay some bills off first.
But if I do I will be pulling off my aftermarkets and putting them on the forum.

Thanks for the input guys, I will probably get test drive a few different cars this weekend and see what's what.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

JRT1:

I have an '01 I30t as my DD, first and only owner. The fit and finish of the inifiniti is way ahead of our stangs in just about every category (TSB for water leaks, the sparkplug issue, etc. you know the drill) but then again,so is the price. I am currently contemplating replacing my I30 and the way I would wanta G35configured is well over12k higher than a highly optioned08GT.

When I take it in for service I have gotten G35 and G35x sedans. The newest G35's all are sport tuned and they are stiff.The shifting of the Autotranny isnot as refined as I wouldlike. It can get up and go tho. As far as the GT goes if I want a sportier/crispier ride I will be spending 1-2k to get the GT to handle in the range of the Infiniti.

Soundsystem =infiniti bose over theshaker 500 no question, none at all.

A gal at work has the G37 and it does have some extra grunt. Not sure how the weight compares to the sedan. It too is sport tuned and a stiff ride. I am told it handles well. She loves it compared to her old Audi TT. +2 on 'the bees' tho... what's up with THAT?

Infinitis hold their value well
Infiniti providesa loaner by defualt for any service
Infiniti service and parts are NOT CHEAP. $500+ for alternator, $4,500 for rebuilt tranny, $289 to change the plugs

Then again, check out this link for the G35:

www.stillen.com

STILLEN BABY! Pick up a G35 and SUPERCHARGE THAT sucker!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Hmmm, you got me thinkin.
I am Ok with a stiff ride, my Mustang has a stiff ride with my aftermarkets, it also handles very well.
When I say luxury I am talking about a sweet cabin with good fit and finish, comfy leather, all the ammenties.
No BS TSBs for spark plugs (come on Ford get your heads outta your asses!!), water leaks, clanging two pice ****ty driveshaft, you know.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I call first dibs on that stuff than.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I'll tell you right now, if you drive the 335 and the g37 back to back on the same day, you wont even look at the g37 anymore. Go ahead and test drive a 335 this weekend so youwontwasteany moretime on the infiniti.

Quick Reply: Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compare to a S197?