Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M rubbing compound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Default 3M rubbing compound?

Has anybody used this on their cars? My soon to be father in law recomended this when I showed him what my 07 PP V6 spoiler did to my trunk (rubbed at the paint on 4 places). I know there is a TSB for itbut I had swapped to a GT spoiler already and ford pretty much said "sucks for you". I just wanted to make sure it was safe to use, 3M makes good products so I figured it was so please reasure me!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 3M rubbing compound?

Rubbing compound is pretty abbrasive. You'll need to follow it up with a polishing compound for sure.
I've triedto rubout blemishes...very hard by hand. I've tried the 3M rubbing compound and the 3M
polishing compound (by hand) and it leaves scratch marks in the clearcoat.I'm guessing you're
referring to the 3M compounds that come is the small round container.

There is another option. Walmart has a $20 paint/chip repair kit. It comes with2-2" buffing pads
that attach to a drill, 2k or 3k grit sandpaper, 2 different compounds. One to remove, one to polish.
You only need the sandpaper for chips. It works nice for small repairs and hard to reach areas. Easier
to use if you have a right angle drill.

good luck!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

How well does it work...walmart worries me! Haha.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Well, guess what? The kit is made by 3M. It's called "Professional chip & scratch repair kit"
And as I said....it works great. Just be careful with the drill rpms. Always feel the area
with your hand to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/68488/C5D829B17C044A8DB369A52EDCF3487D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

i use turtle wax rubbing compound...really good stuff IMO...use it after wetsanding and then buffing out, etc. on my plymouth

more recently, however....everytime i would see my mom's grandprix, it would make me sick, so i offered to get it looking like new again...it's white, had a bunch of dirt looked embedded in the paint (looked fine from a few feet away, but when you get up close, it looked like a freckled kid's face) there was also some lil scuffs in the paint where she appearantly has backed into stuff used rubbing compound on the whole car (had to do it a couple times in the really bad areas), but it now looks like brand new paint...

i'm assuming that it just kinda rubbed your clear and made it dull??? if that's all it did, i'd use rubbing compound, thenuse polishing compound - should be able to do it by hand and depending on the area should only take .5-1 hr to do

hope this helps
Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

First off... Trying to remove deep scratches, the ones that catch your nail, with rubbing compound is like trying to p#ss in a violin and make music out of it.

I used to buff with the 3M stuff. I started with FinesseIIand finished up with the glaze.
I now use Farecla because it's easier. It works with water, no heat.

3M is good stuff anyway.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Well, guess what? The kit is made by 3M. It's called "Professional chip & scratch repair kit"
And as I said....it works great. Just be careful with the drill rpms. Always feel the area

How much was the 3M kit from Walmart?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: landon.moss

i use turtle wax rubbing compound...really good stuff IMO...use it after wetsanding and then buffing out, etc. on my plymouth

more recently, however....everytime i would see my mom's grandprix, it would make me sick, so i offered to get it looking like new again...it's white, had a bunch of dirt looked embedded in the paint (looked fine from a few feet away, but when you get up close, it looked like a freckled kid's face) there was also some lil scuffs in the paint where she appearantly has backed into stuff used rubbing compound on the whole car (had to do it a couple times in the really bad areas), but it now looks like brand new paint...

i'm assuming that it just kinda rubbed your clear and made it dull??? if that's all it did, i'd use rubbing compound, thenuse polishing compound - should be able to do it by hand and depending on the area should only take .5-1 hr to do

hope this helps
It's 4 spots from where the decklid spoiler would touch (it's not supposed to) while driving or opening/closing the trunk. 2 spots are on the rear side (upper left/upper right) and then on top there are 2 lines from where the spoiler was mounted. I have to say anybody who removes there 07PP V6 spoiler, good luck, took 2 and a half hours to switch out spoilers. 2 hours and 29 minutes to take off and 30 seconds to attach the new one. Can you say OVERKILL with the double sided tape!!! [>:]
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

if it's not deep, and just seems like dull clear coat from rubbing, you should be able to fix it up pretty well...maybe well enough not to even notice...may wanna take your new spoiler off...doesn't hurt to try...only a few bux - i bet you could get it looking pretty good
Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StreamlineStang

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

How much was the 3M kit from Walmart?
$20.00.

Quick Reply: 3M rubbing compound?