Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang exhaust is better with cats.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang exhaust is better with cats.

ORIGINAL: rshamekh

Nice! Didn't know the prochamber gets rid of the trumpeting, I might think of upgrading to it.
I have an auto tranny too btw. I don't think it has to do with trumpeting though, because my setup trumpets at high rpms.
hmm then I guess you won't have it. Also I'm a bad person to ask about trumpeting haha I can still never figure out what it is, but I know I love the sound. My friend says it doesn't trumpet so I'm happy lol
Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

I really don't think my mid pipe hurt my performance. Just look at my trap speed. Sure you may lose a little torque but from what I understand is you gain hp in trade. Same thing with UDPs and CMDPs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it works the same with the trade off.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I should have my prochamber here either tomorrow or Monday. My high-flow cats are already here. I'm going to modify the prochamber's downpipes to accept the cats.

Here's what trumpeting is. Listen at the 7.5 sec mark and again at the 9 sec mark. I used to have an offroad H with my stingers and it sounded just like this....of course, much louder in person. It is extremely annoying because you're not accelerating hard, but the exhaust does this double trumpet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHSSTFtlJw8
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 AM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ultrashock

I really don't think my mid pipe hurt my performance. Just look at my trap speed. Sure you may lose a little torque but from what I understand is you gain hp in trade. Same thing with UDPs and CMDPs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it works the same with the trade off.
I've got both UDPs and CMCVs and either one of them cost me any amount of torque. This is a myth, some tuners do not take the time to tune them properly and causes a loss of torque. If you've got a good tuner, there should be no loss anywhere on the power curve.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

ORIGINAL: Ultrashock

I've got both UDPs and CMCVs and either one of them cost me any amount of torque. This is a myth, some tuners do not take the time to tune them properly and causes a loss of torque. If you've got a good tuner, there should be no loss anywhere on the power curve.
Well I'm guessing you mean a local tuner so you can dyno tune it right?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

It doesn't really need to be dyno tuned per say. If the tuner has done enough of them he's going to know what needs to be done and where. I forgot to touch on the topic of the OP. Cat deletes are worth abou 3 rwhp. I don't like the way they sound. But you shouldn't notice any loss of torque unless you're not running a muffler. The muffler is more than enough to keep a small amount of back pressure.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

Well if I purchase my UDPs from Brenspeed ill just have them send me the new configs. I do have a local tuning shop that's right across the street. Great hook ups but I'm lightly modded so I see a dyno tune as being a waste at this stage in the game.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I don't know a dyno tune is always better IMO. Justin is actually going to the Houston area right now. Check out his website, he's got the information on there. Maybe you could get you car on the dyno when he's up there !!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

Who's justin? Link me to his website and I'll give it a look.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

No car wants backpressure EVER. Throw on a big exhaust that slows down airflow before it exits the exhaust and pressure actually goes up. But because it's a big exhaust, people assume it flows better and has lower backpressure. Thus 'backpressure must be good!' Poorly designed exhaust that are big diameter but stagnate airflow lose low rpm power. Well designed exhausts with smooth transitions and pipe sized for the power output will gain across the board.

Quick Reply: Mustang exhaust is better with cats.