Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lemmie beat a dead horse....what tuner and CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 AM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: lemmie beat a dead horse....what tuner and CAI?

ORIGINAL: TOMBSTANG

Id go with c&l racer and vmp ***** thats what I have and im pretty sure justin and dougs tunes are almost identical, I know they do some work together so.... and mustangbatman has the bama race and I have the vmp race and we were neck and neck running our cars to about 130 ish.

he has a few mods I dont and I have a few mods he dont so they basically canceled the advantages out. they both run like snot.

I can roast my tires right through 2nd gear easy and if i shift hard get it to kick in 3rd. I also have 4.10 though too keep in mind
Yep, they're basically the same maybe give or take 1hp
Old 05-03-2008, 10:13 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

(Yeah, in the very first post of that link, lol)

http://home.comcast.net/~swieduwilt0...rums_Dynos.xls

Thought this list was bigger for some reason. [&:]
Old 05-03-2008, 04:24 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tached_out

JLT
+1

JLT made the most HP & torque increase in a CAI comparison.

I'm going to get the JLT w/ Xcal 3 from Bamachips for $549. By the way, the Xcal 3 used to have bugs in the past but it's been worked out. SCT has new firmware for it.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007CalSpec

JLT
+1

I'm going to get the JLT w/ Xcal 3 from Bamachips for $549. By the way, the Xcal 3 used to have bugs in the past but it's been worked out. SCT has new firmware for it.
where is the comparison at? was it done on the same car and the temps the same etc etc. not all cars are created equal and it is almost impossible to get a exact number even if its on the same car because of air temps, engine temps............ I am pretty sure you can't go wrong with any of the top CAI.

one day one will perform better then the next with diff engine temps , air temps and so on. so its impossible to say that one made more then the other, all in the tune also......
Old 05-03-2008, 06:06 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

JLT
+1

where is the comparison at? was it done on the same car and the temps the same etc etc. not all cars are created equal and it is almost impossible to get a exact number even if its on the same car because of air temps, engine temps............ I am pretty sure you can't go wrong with any of the top CAI.

one day one will perform better then the next with diff engine temps , air temps and so on. so its impossible to say that one made more then the other, all in the tune also......
Here's the article. They said the same car was used and they tried to keep all the variables the same.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html

"To keep this test as accurate as possible, we will adhere to the following testing protocol: The same car will be used for all testing onthe MD Motorsports chassis dyno. Rear-wheel horsepower will be measured in 100 percent stock form. The car will then be tuned to a set air/fuel ratio and set timing level. Each cold-air will be installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. Rear horsepower will again be measured with the cold-air in place with run conditions (coolant temperature,inlet-air temperature, timing, air/fuel ratio, and so on) as close aspossible to the baseline pull. All efforts will be made to adjust the air/fuel ratio to the exact same as the baseline run to avoid this variable causing a change in horsepower. This testing procedure will be continued for all of the cold-air systems submitted for the story, which should ensure we have the same weather, car, testing facility, and tuning for equal comparisons."

JLT True Cold Air Intake

Price: $150 - $225 (with JLT/DTP tunepackage; not tested)
Peak Horsepower: 288.9 (27.9hp gain)
Peak Torque: 303.5lb-ft (21.5-lb-ft gain)
Old 05-03-2008, 06:31 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

JLT
+1

Here's the article. They said the same car was used and they tried to keep all the variables the same.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html

"To keep this test as accurate as possible, we will adhere to the following testing protocol: The same car will be used for all testing onthe MD Motorsports chassis dyno. Rear-wheel horsepower will be measured in 100 percent stock form. The car will then be tuned to a set air/fuel ratio and set timing level. Each cold-air will be installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. Rear horsepower will again be measured with the cold-air in place with run conditions (coolant temperature,inlet-air temperature, timing, air/fuel ratio, and so on) as close aspossible to the baseline pull. All efforts will be made to adjust the air/fuel ratio to the exact same as the baseline run to avoid this variable causing a change in horsepower. This testing procedure will be continued for all of the cold-air systems submitted for the story, which should ensure we have the same weather, car, testing facility, and tuning for equal comparisons."

JLT True Cold Air Intake

Price: $150 - $225 (with JLT/DTP tunepackage; not tested)
Peak Horsepower: 288.9 (27.9hp gain)
Peak Torque: 303.5lb-ft (21.5-lb-ft gain)
" To keep this test as accurate as possible" key words possible

still not going to be dead on no matter what they try to do.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i like the looks of the c&l racer,i dont think there is a real difference in the c&l and the jlt?

is there a big difference in the diablosport and the sct xcal2 or 3?

also,if i do go the used route,what do i need to look for? i know some tuners will only work for some cars,is this the case on the mustangs?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Aye carumba... Even IF all the variables were the same, the dyno's don't have the greatest repeatability. Instruments have tolerances and when you have multiple instruments your error simply grows. Don't put a lot of stock in one test over another. Just use the info as a tool and not bible.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:14 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

i like the looks of the c&l racer,i dont think there is a real difference in the c&l and the jlt?

also,if i do go the used route,what do i need to look for? i know some tuners will only work for some cars,is this the case on the mustangs?
i need answers,i have to be able to keep up when we do our cruise on the 31st,lol.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:25 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

I like the looks of the C&L intake also but I'm getting the JLT. The JLT made a little more HP & torque but not by much. This is negligible since there's many variables that could affect performance. I like the JLT because the possibility of heat soak is less than the C&L andbecause I want to paint the JLT.

I don't know what the big differences are between the Xcal 2,3, and Diablo but I'm getting the Diablo because it's the only one thatwould let me turn off the O2 by myself.

About used tuners. Read this from the forums...

https://mustangforums.com/m_4537865/tm.htm

Quick Reply: lemmie beat a dead horse....what tuner and CAI?