Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Failed Emissions?

I failed emissions because they said I failed the readiness...i.e. my car had been reset too recently, but the million dollar question is how long or how many start stop cycles puts my car back into "readiness mode"? The emissions place said oh you need to drive 100-150 miles. A friend of mine said it wasn't so muchthe distance asit was the stop and start cycles. Does anyone know what it really isand how can I make sure my car is "ready"?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Failed Emissions?

sorry never heard of that b4
Old 05-04-2008, 01:57 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I'm sorry to hear that happened John...I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've heard something about it having to do morewith the start stop cyles rather than the distance driven....something about the car's computer having to read that the problem is completely gone??? If you would like, I can try to make a few calls to my friends atFord and find out exactly what you need to do...just let me know.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:08 PM
08blackgtcs

my old taurus failed because of that..and what i had to do was just drive it. I couldnt give you an exact distance, but when i brought it in after only 60 miles, the tech said that wasnt enough. I ended up making it back after about 1000, but it did its thing and i passed, and not a moment to soon either. Because the following week, my check engine light went back up.

But how my guy explained it was that its just time that the computer needs to reset itself after it has been reset by a person. Unfortunatly he did not indicate to me wheter it was by driving, or with the cycles, but it was assumed that if I would drive it more that i would both put a bunch of miles on it, and also go through a bunch of cycles.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

The reset paramiters are based on the car. They are dependant on lots of things. In the mustang it's a 150 mile drive after loading a new tune.

You're welcome.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies...this is just something I haven't had to deal with before so I wasn't sure what the real truth was...I will just try and drive it a lot this week and the next...I know I'll be putting a few miles on it driving it up to Commerce for the Pinks All Out race...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

when was the last time you reset the computer? if it wasn't anytime recent...double check with your tuner that your rear O2 sensors are turned on
Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

when was the last time you reset the computer? if it wasn't anytime recent...double check with your tuner that your rear O2 sensors are turned on
If you live in a state that requires emissions readiness testing I would be very carefull to make sure that any aftermarked tunes are EPA 50 state compliant. If indeed the rear O2 sensor OBD tests are disabled by an aftermarked tune, the OBD readiness monitor will never show complete.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Well if that is the case then its pretty pointless in having my car because its going to fail everytime...I would have to get bungs welded into the car for the rears to be hooked up again...why did I have to move into a county that requires this crap...there are other counties in GA that don't require it...maybe its time to move, lol...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black05StangGT

Well if that is the case then its pretty pointless in having my car because its going to fail everytime...I would have to get bungs welded into the car for the rears to be hooked up again...why did I have to move into a county that requires this crap...there are other counties in GA that don't require it...maybe its time to move, lol...
If you do not even have the rear O2's in place, the OBD readiness monitor for the Oxygen sensor will never complete. UNLESS, the non factory "tuner" has been smart eneough not to just "cal out" the rear O2's, but to fake the signals for the monitor to complete.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions?