Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Correct instruction on manual gearbox techniques includes the use of engine braking. Incorrect or insufficient use of engine braking isa test failure in most European countries. (This isn't a Euro versus US thing, it's about manual gearbox techniques)

Anybody who's ever driven on a road course, or even regularly fast on twisty roads, will atest as to how important engine braking is.
I agree, it's not a europe vs US thing. I was taught how by my father who's from New Zealand. I think if you look at countries where a manual transmission is the norm, you will find that this is how they are taught to drive.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 AM
VaBeachMustang
1st Gear Member

Is there any shimmy in the wheel during braking? I had the same problem a few months ago; my rotor on the passanger side was warped.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.
(and not just toyota camrys and nissan altimas, but im talking about porshe's, aston martin, masserati, etc.) (by the way not trying to brag in ANY way at all... infact i hate bringing that up.. )
Haha, obviously!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

alignment, warped rotor, bad pads, contaminated rotor (oil) could be any number of things. Ford is nutorious for making rotors of out of butter
Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Could be one of a fewthings.

- Tire pressure low on one side
- Suspension joint worn/loose
- Alignment issue
- Shock (strut) tired
- Brake pads worn unevenly
- Uneven wear on front tires (if perhaps you swapped out a front tire for some reason)
You hit on a couple of potential items on here, but if it is doing it on a regular basis and always to the same side, it is most likely a bad caliper and/or brake hose. If the rotor was warped, it would give a nasty vibration in the pedal during braking.

If a caliper is sticking (some people call it "hanging up") it is that fluid is not escaping the caliper quick enough. Thus is keeps the brake pads on that particular wheel slightly engaged longer. This slows down the wheel just enough to cause the pull. In higher mileage cars, the brake hose can get very tiny cuts or abrasions in it internally that essentially does the same thing, it keeps the fluid in the caliper longer than it should be in there..

I think one of those is your most likely culprit. Still check the list above as they are definite possibilities. If you do find that the pads are worn more on the wheel of the side the car is pulling to, that is yet another indication of a bad caliper/hose.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:21 AM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Could be aftermarket lower control arms if they weren't adjusted right... (if you have them of course)
Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: michaellefebvre

mine pulls to the left, when it does pull , always left.
but itonly pulls now and again, not always?!?
pressure is same in front tires.
i figured its some kind of uneveness in the front brakes,
and/orthe warped roads i drive on.
car is due for it's first dealer brake inspection anyway.
going to get it looked at this month.
Mine pulls to the left when I am slowing down from about 15 MPH to 0 MPH
for a light. I always thought it was because of the heavy unevenness of
the roadway at traffic lights from the constant force of braking there.
The roads are heavily rutted and such around here. Now a smooth as
glass surface, it might not pull. Also all roads are more or less "crowned"
for proper water drainage. Ask any motorcycle rider about that one.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
nghtrnnr
1st Gear Member

MINE WAS DOING THAT AND WHEN I CHANGED THE BRAKEPADS IT STOPPED....HAD ME WORRIED A SEC THOUGH.. damn...sorry about the caps...work comp
Old 05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

hi im a mechanic, and i see this all the time. its because of the latreral runout of your rotors. if you take the rotor off and look at it from the side, (depending on how severe it is) you might actually see that the rotor isnt perfectly parallel with it's other side, (which it should be) to correct this problem you need to either 1) get a whole brake job done (new rotors and pads) or 2) machine your rotors and get new pads. either way you deffinately need new pads.

glad to be of service
Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PullMeOverRed05

Could be one of a fewthings.

- Tire pressure low on one side
- Suspension joint worn/loose
- Alignment issue
- Shock (strut) tired
- Brake pads worn unevenly
- Uneven wear on front tires (if perhaps you swapped out a front tire for some reason)
You hit on a couple of potential items on here, but if it is doing it on a regular basis and always to the same side, it is most likely a bad caliper and/or brake hose. If the rotor was warped, it would give a nasty vibration in the pedal during braking.

If a caliper is sticking (some people call it "hanging up") it is that fluid is not escaping the caliper quick enough. Thus is keeps the brake pads on that particular wheel slightly engaged longer. This slows down the wheel just enough to cause the pull. In higher mileage cars, the brake hose can get very tiny cuts or abrasions in it internally that essentially does the same thing, it keeps the fluid in the caliper longer than it should be in there..

I think one of those is your most likely culprit. Still check the list above as they are definite possibilities. If you do find that the pads are worn more on the wheel of the side the car is pulling to, that is yet another indication of a bad caliper/hose.

i also agree with you, sorry i didn't say anything about these problems, he's probably right. but the brakes thing is just the most common reason. but deffinately check the tires for either low pressure or bad tread wear

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?