Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive makes diff gears for street and race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default Motive makes diff gears for street and race?

One of the local Mustang shops is telling me that those who are having so much trouble with Motive gears whining are using the street version of the gears rather than the "performance/race" version. I haven't heard this before. Is he just blowing smoke up my patootie so I'll say yes to the install or is there really different sets/cuts of gears made by Motive?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Motive makes diff gears for street and race?

okay so i'll answer at least part of my own question...yes, they do make different sets for street and hi performance use...however, is that the differnece in the gears? those that whine versus those that don't? Or is it all in the installation?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

they are made using differnet alloys. they claim the non-performance gears are not as light weightas the standard gear. it seems it should be the other way around but that is what they claim. probably worth the few extra bucks for the 'performance' gear.

neither one should whine.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

okay so i'll answer at least part of my own question...yes, they do make different sets for street and hi performance use...however, is that the differnece in the gears? those that whine versus those that don't? Or is it all in the installation?
Most of the problems are install issues. Not enough double checking before putting things back together, incorrect preloading,or incorrect pinion angle.

I don't see why there would be an issue with whine caused by street vs 'strip' gears unless the strip gears use different materials in which you get whine ALL the time. If that is the case with Motive (Street vs strip) Boo on them for not making the differentiation more obvious. This is the first time I've heard they had two seperate lines.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

i agree neigher should whine...from Motive's website, they're actually the same material, just heat treated and something else with the computer, can't remember

just want to avoid the whine issue with motive gears. does anyone have another reccommendation for gear sets besides motive? i'm not convinced that i'll get the gears i want by supplying the frpp part number without the "M"
Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

Most of the problems are install issues. Not enough double checking before putting things back together, incorrect preloading,or incorrect pinion angle.

I don't see why there would be an issue with whine caused by street vs 'strip' gears unless the strip gears use different materials in which you get whine ALL the time. If that is the case with Motive (Street vs strip) Boo on them for not making the differentiation more obvious. This is the first time I've heard they had two seperate lines.
did you mean pinion depth? i can't imagine pinion angle could relate to gear whine, but perhaps so....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

le bump
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
bloodyrage

hey Devil Wolf i see u finally got ur tlok and 4:10s installed, how much did ur place charge u for it and how are u liking the gears?? im still waiting for my bearing kit to come in tomorrow its been a month since i ordered my tlock and gears