Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stangmods HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 PM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

Default Stangmods HID kit

I just got my stangmods HID kits (6k headlights and 3k fogs) and I don't think I've ever been quite so
disappointed. The instructions are terrible. Text only (no photos, no wiring diagram, nothing), incomplete
(the kits come with brackets and screws that are never even referred to). The one for the fogs appears
to omit an entire connector that come off the bulbs and would appear to go to the ballasts.

I gotta say, I don't think I want to install them now. I sent them an e-mail asking a few questions, but
it says on their website that they won't accept returns on HID kits (although, on the HID webpage itself
they claim they will take returns if you are unsatisfied with light output). I've heard they have good
CS, I guess I'll find out...

I know there are a bunch of folks on here with them, any pictures, photos, etc of ballast locations
wire routes, etc?

I guess if they won't take them back, I may end up with some never installed HID kits to sell and try
get some money back out of...

Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stangmods HID kit

Wow and I was just thinking about getting a kit from them..... Good luck with that man, let us know how it goes...
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Go ahead an install the kit, you should not be disappointed. The brackets and screws are there for you if you want to mount your ballasts in a place that would call for them. I just used double sided tape and placed the ballasts near the strut towers. One next to the fuse box and, if you have a CAI, behind the heat shield. With the stock box the ballast can be mounted right onto the box itself. Installation is actually very simple. For the headlights: Just run the wiring harness across the engine bay any way you see fit and then just make all the electrical connections. Each plug only has one plug it can connect to so it is fairly straight forward. I returned mine, but that is only because my vehicle does not want to work with the kits for some reason. My car just refused to ignite the drivers side bulb on occasion. They even sent me a replacement kit for free to try and get it working. I never tried the foglight kit so I can't help you there. Their customer service is great judging by what I experienced so you shouldn't worry if their are any issues. And from what I could see though when I drove the car at night the kit is definitely worth it.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Its only 3 wires that need to be connected. low, high and ground. What color wires oar on the harness? Im guessing there a black, red, etc.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

The foglight setup doesn't come with a harness. It comes with two metal ballasts. The Ballasts have a red/black wire set coming out,
and a receptacle for a plug. The bulb has 2 wires coming out, that enter a rubber grommett (not mentioned in the instruction).
Coming back out of the grommet are a red/black with blade connectors. Coming out the other side are a red/black with plastic
connectors and a plug. The instructions mention the red/black wires, but nothing about the plugs.

I really wish there was at least a wiring diagram of the whole thing, I guess I'll have to make one.

Personally, I think the instructions are borderline pathetic without a diagram or photos, but I guess I'll give it a shot.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

At least the headlights are easy and you should be impressed by those. Worst case you talk to StangMods about returning the fogs.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

The stangmods webpage states that there is a special new relay required. Mine doesn't
appear to have come with a relay.

I did lay out the headlight wiring and it does seem more straightforward than it first appeared.

Still can't figure out what I'm missing about the fogs. I think it's missing the part about where the
car's wiring system plugs into the ballasts...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

The relays are required for people that bought kits not made for our cars. Look at your headlight harness and follow the wires. Do they all end up meeting together in a small black box? If they do you have the relays and all StangMods headlight kits are supposed to come with them as part of the harness. I did say that I never used their fog kit, but I can tell you that the fog lights do not need relays. You pretty much just have to run the factory fog wire into the ballast and then connect the ballast to the bulb.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

OK, so the relay is part of the wiring harness. Got it, good to go then on that.

For the fogs, let me see if the picture can help. On the right you see the bulb, which runs
back to the grommet. There are 2 wires going forward, which the instructions say connect to the
foglight housing. There are 2 wires, and 1 braided bundle that run to the left. The wire coming
off of the ballast connectos to the 2 wires coming off of the bulb, clearly. But, where does that
braided wire bundle connect? And where does the car harness connect? It appears that the
braided wire could also be plugged into the ballast. The instructions do not mention this wire...

The instructions also do not cover where the car harness plugs, probably the ballast?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Ok, the two wires with the blade connectors get plugged into the factory fog light harness. You can just stick them into the slots on the connector I assume. I don't know why factory connectors where not included. The large plug with the sheathed harness is the one that plugs into the ballast. Then just connect the small ones together and you should be good to go. The grommet is just there to keep the wires bundled together. It confused me at first because it made the wires look like they lead to odd places, but now I see it's just there to keep things neat. You may think that these kits are poorly designed, but they are superior to almost all the Ebay kits you can get out there when it comes to ease of installation and reliability.

Quick Reply: Stangmods HID kit