Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri Ax Shifter ( Steeda )

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:23 AM
dRiBz
2nd Gear Member

Default Tri Ax Shifter ( Steeda )

i just installed the Tri Ax Shifter from steeda, and i have to say, i am VERY dissapointed. It is REALLY hard to shift into 1st. After awhile, it makes my hands red from the IUP shift ****. You have to really force it in. And going from neutral to 2nd is even harder. 3rd to 4th is the smoothest ever. But i have a problem with 1st to 2nd, neutral to 1st, neutral to 2nd, and 4th to 5th. So its everything besides the freakin middle gears. Even reverse. Any ways to fix this? or im just taking this bitch out and selling it.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Troden
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tri Ax Shifter ( Steeda )

I hope this is somthing that can be adjusted as I am having one installed Tuesday.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:20 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

Wow thats the first time i have ever heard something like that of the tri ax. Are you sure you installed it right. i don't think your hand should be red. I have an MGW which is even shorter/harder to shift than yours and i could probobly shift with just my thumb and pointer finger if i tried. You probobly did somthing wrong
Old 04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

That sounds bad, did you have it put in by a shop, or do it yourself?
If you put it in, what is you're background in mechanics?
I mean if you are a life long mechanic and had this trouble after placing it yourself, that is unacceptable,
but if you are a rocket scientist, you may want to have a mechanic look at it...

Wow there isn't a way to say that nice is there?
Please let us know if you come up with a fix, Could it be defective?

Geeeez, I was just getting ready to place an order too.....
Old 04-24-2005, 03:12 PM
dRiBz
2nd Gear Member

A mechanic put the shifter in. He is a mechanic that works on transmission and stuff and a mustang enthusiast. However, he has never installed a Steeda shifter b4. So, its either a) He installed it wrong, b) Its just crappy, c) its defective. I was wondering if other people had this problem because its REALLY annoying. Also, when i go into 1st, i had it catch the transmission as if my clutch wasnt all the way down, even when it was. I hear sites say that its smoooooooooth. But ya, i think they are talking about 3rd - 4th. Cause i could shift that with my pinky.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:57 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I would think that if they were all like that they would not be able to sell any. There must be something wrong with the instalation. The tri-ax shifter has stops to prevent the stick from being moved too far. If these stops are not adjusted correctly it could cause this problem. I suggest playing with the stops to see if that improves it. Try backing them off some until it slips into 1st and 2nd easier. Then try to be sure other gears are still ok. Be carefull not to back them off too far. You don't want the stick to move the shift forks in the trans too far as that could cause other problems. Best of luck!
Old 04-24-2005, 04:57 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

If this guy had it set up so it caught a gear like the clutch wasn't in I would RUN to another mechanic.
Sounds like it is a fouled up Installation. [:'(]
I think the stops are to prevent to much front to back movement not side to side?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Yes the stops will limit back and foreword motion which would efect going into 1st and 2nd. The instalation looks pretty straight foreword, I'm not sure what else could go wrong.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Im having one of these installed in a few days too. These are so new yet that no Experts exist except at a very few specialty shops. The June issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords [credit to who mentioned this first], has an article on how to install these shifters. They mention a rubber boot under the regular shift boot that could be the problem. It can be a bit of a bear to install right, but sure could cause your problem. Ide look there first. This definately isnt a shifter that can be just slapped in in a couple hours by any ham-hock. It comes with a set of shims because each car is a bit different. You really have to take the time to fit the setup to your car. At the end of that article, they said that the only things that bugged them was the sound of a light Clack as you make each shift. Its those stops, and you cant do much about it and still have em set right. And reverse can be a bit vague to find. Aside from that, the rubbery feel is gone and the whole thing is more precise. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

I see, I was thinking he was having trouble going from neutral to 1st and 2nd part of the H pattern, and 5th from neutral, meaing a sideways movement of the stick, if he means front to back I second what you said about the stops.

Quick Reply: Tri Ax Shifter ( Steeda )