Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear 3m Bra quotes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Clear 3m Bra quotes?

I will just get mine repainted in a few years. That seems PRICEY!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I've had my hood painted two times and if you take my advise it's best to get a clear bra. It will pay for it self. Wish Now I could start over and get the one time paint and then the clear bra. Black loves to scratch especially if you drive fast.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have gotten rock chips out of nowhere and black shows everything. If you use the car for show and have a custom paint job get the clear bra...I guarantee the color will not fade on the clearcoats we have today. The clearcoat will mare, scratch, or swirl, chip, peel, etc., but the color underneath is fine and WON'T fade unless the paint is not basecoat/clearcoat! Trust me I have never had a car "fade" even black unless it was lacquer paint or some other type and the owner did not do the bare minimum to care for the paint. Get the clear bra for a DD that you enjoy and the car will be protected.... trust me you will not be disappointed... JMO J
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I would put it on my Black GT again at twice the cost!! BEST money I ever spent on the car!!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

I paid around $800 in SE PA for whole job on GT, rockers, mirrors, everything.

Is it worth it? I don't know. I will tell you that the quality of the installation means everything. Like most everyone else with cars like ours, I am very picky. If you can, get references and check around as much as possible. I think my jobcame out just okwith some marks/bubbles that are gettingre-done.I have to admit I amdisappointed - I hope I feel differently after it gets fixed.

My installer so far is standing behind his job but here's what he told me (AFTER I expressed my disappointment);if I am looking for an indestructible, invisible, flawless product, it's not that. You can see it, it sometimes does have some slight imperfections "out of the box", and it will scratch and mark just like paint. It's meant to be a superior replacement (albeit expensive) for the ugly black bras appearance and care-wise. It's to save your paint and in turn, keep your valuable car, more-valuable. At resale, take it off.

I came home from a recent trip this past weekend only to find a large +quarter-sizedmark with surrounding scratches on the front of my hood, IN the 3M film [:@]. I did knowthat my son had driven the car without my knowledge or ok while I was away so I asked him what happened and as usual, he didn't know anything about it..."I just went to a Cruise Night". Maybe he's right and nothing happened but it looks to me like someone was sitting on the hood with riveted jeans, or keys in pocket, or etc. and itdamaged the film. So, I'mkinda torn...if it can be marked up like that,how good is it really? But then, if the same thing happened without the 3M, I'd have a nice repair job needed to my hood.

The moral to all this? It's up to you.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
htp autoworks

I install ClearMask and charge $750 for the bumper/hood/fenders/lights/mirrors. Thats a pretty standard install. If you have a custom front end then it will be more expensive due to the custom work. most cars are done via pre cut kits... and custom work is all hand cut.

By the way, Expel is NOT a 3M product. I am not sure where that came from but it the worst/most expensive film on the market. I do not recommend going with Expel.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I will be more than happy to help.

Thom Pettigrew
HTP AutoWorks
Old 05-23-2008, 03:01 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boomer123

How much did you guys pay for your clear bras? a local shop told me they charge about 1200 and it sounded really pricey...
I know it isn't cheap. When I had my C5 Vette I had the front end quoted, everyone around wanted about 1,200 so I guess a little cheaper, but not by much.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 PM
phatcat
1st Gear Member

I a 3m at ebay precut for 200 plus 50 for the lights and fogs, installed it myself, took about 9 hours, but came out great!!!