Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst day in mustang install history...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Default Worst day in mustang install history...

Today has been my worst experience installing parts on the mustang. I had 3 parts to install, new gasket on my drivers side header, a new ds, and a new uca. Somehow I seem to have ran into a problem with every install.

I get every bolt off of the header except the one that attaches the h-pipe to the header. The bolt is totally rusted and I can't fit a wrench behind it to remove it because an oxygen sensor plug is in the way. I've been at it for hours with no luck, its so fustrating since its the last bolt and I can't get the gasket on oherwise.

Next problem is the driveshaft, I get the stock one off just fine but when it comes to removing the pinion nut I hit a brick wall. It won't budge no matter how hard I pull. I even went out and bought a impact wrench and rented a compressor to try and get it out but that won't even work so I'm stuck here too.

Next problem is the UCA, I can't even get the two bolts that hold the mount on to come off.

What in the world is going on here? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I'm all ears.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Worst day in mustang install history...

I think you will need a pulley remover for the DS.

My bolts never rusted that much for the h pipe to headers but PB blaster is great **** to try, i know you have soaked it already many times probably.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Remove the oxygen sensor and use a socket and extension from underneath the car.

I'm not sure on the pinion nut. It sounds like you just need a longer breaker bar. It's only torqued to 120+ ft lbs.

Not sure what the problem is on the upper control arm bolts either. Mine came right out. I believe you need to remove the bolt that holds it to the top of the axle before you try to remove the other bolts. Be sure to support the axle when doing this.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Eric261
2nd Gear Member

Yes indeed PB BLAST is king for removing rusted bolts I had a similar problem when installing my exhuast system tried eveyrhting you did and used an impact gun still woudlnt budge put some pb blast on there let it sit for a few minutes and do its thing. Bolt came off with ease..... Give it a try works great on anything that wont budge.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Time to invest in a weight set and upgrade YOUR arms! LOL just kidding!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:28 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

that sucks man some bad luck you got
Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

I'm going rent a saw and cut off the header bolt tomorrow, I might as well replace it because of its condition plut it'll make me feel better to hack it apart with power tools[8D]

That pinion nut must be tighter than 120 lb/ft, I'm a pretty tough guy who works out 5 days a week and I couldn't get it to break loose for the life of me. I swear the breaker bar was about to break, I've never seen it bend like that I'm going to fine the biggest breaker bar at the store tomorrow and I'll give it another go.

As far as the UCA bolts go, I'm just going to let them soak till tomorrow and hope for the best. If I can get at least one of these installs finished I'll feel pretty accomplished.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I'm just glad this isn't a bashing of TacoBill again...I remember how that went down last timejk jk. You tried an air wrench or something like that?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

I was waiting for someone to mention that

I tried an impact gun capable of 250 lb/ft and it still couldn't get that damn pinion nut off, I swear someone at ford welded it on to screw with me
Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I felt inclined to mention that What are you going to do though to get that off? If I was you I'd go to the dealership or a performance shop of some sort and have them do it for you and then just replace the bolts there with new ones...

Quick Reply: Worst day in mustang install history...