Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you get a mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why did you get a mustang?

For me it basically came down to a really easy way to decide. I test drove a few different cars and whichever one made me feel the best after I drove it is the one I bought. I originally thought I was going to get a 350Z, but after driving it I was dissapointed. I also considered the Infiniti G37. Hell, I even took an eclipse for a test drive! But after driving the Mustang, I knew right away it was the one I wanted.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 AM
ddiehl
1st Gear Member

I was a previous Camaro owner but the last ones I had were the biggest pieces of crap I had ever driven. Parts began falling off of them the week I got them new... and Chevrolet turned their backs on me. After switching to Ford trucks, I decided the next car I got wouldmost likelybe a Ford. I have driven Chevy's, Plymouths, and Fords as police vehicles and consistently found the Ford,not always the fastest but,the most reliable. But when I began my car search back around Oct last year, I looked at many different makes. The Mustang was without doubt the best looking sports car out there. Since I'd had such good luck with Fords, it didn't take much to convince me to do it. I've never regretted it. I love this car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/92517/A09AEB1B092647AE8CB7194A0DC1C5FC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 AM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

I came out of a 2007 Avalanche, after driving SUVs and Trucks for the last 13 years. The Avalanche
I bought was a demo, and had lived a much harder life than I was led to believe, so I decided to get
out of it. I also decided, since I've graduated to a slip for my boat, I was only towing 2x per year and
I could borrow or rent a truck for that purpose if needed. So, I decided to go back to cars. Most of
my commute is back and forth to work, and this would be a daily driver. My criteria, and thought process
was:

1) Better gas mileage. Avalanche got 16ish in mixed driving.
2) 2 door coupe, but required a back seat
3) Purchase price that would make it about an even swap for my Avalanche (~30k range)
4) Good power
5) A healthy dose of style
6) Ability to be a year 'round car.
7) Ability to personalize the car (since I was also dumping my Harley, I need to have something
I can alter to my style).
8) Ideally American.

I looked at Accord and Altima Coupes. V6, but mileage ratings no better than the Mustang
for less power. Very little style. Hard to find one I wanted in stock anywhere. Not great
deals. GM doesn't make a coupe I like. 350z no back seat. RX-8 (and I had an RX-7 so theres
some nostalgia there, but again, even smaller than Mustang's seat).

I've looked at the Mustang since '05. Always liked the look. Finally drove one, and it meet all
my criteria. Naturally the winter use is a concern, but really, I'm not afraid of it. Good snow
tires will probably make it superior to a front driver with all-seasons... Plus I have a liberal
"work from home" program from work...

We'll see how the Ford holds up as a DD with 15kmiles/year on tap. That said, I don't generally
keep cars much longer than 3 - 4 years anyway...
Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 AM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Well for me it was3 things... One itwas American madeand the majority of the money spent for it stays in the US economy. Two its just beutifull and the only true musclecar left and 18 yr olds cant buy one and throw a wallmart wing on it and a foldiers cofee can on the tail pipe and call it a race car. Three Its a Mustang! what else can I say.

well im actually only 17 and i just bought i brand new 08 gt, (still owe about 7 grand on it though) but trust me i wont be putting no wallmart wing on it...so i wouldnt judge people just yet, if someone is gonna spend this kind of money on a car at this age they're not gonna screw it up.....but anyways back to the post, i bought mine because my dodge ram with a 5.7 hemi got about 13 mpg, i thought about going diesel to get about 20 mpg, but diesel here is $4.50 a gallon, and still being a junior in high school i would rather not do that just yet, even though you can make one that'll outrun a stock gt in a heartbeat for pretty cheap...but i thought about the charger but wasnt impressed with the auto tranny, and the four doors wasnt really me either...a g35 was too expensive unless i wanted to get like an 05 or 06, but i really wanted to buy a brand new car so i know what its been threw and i know ill take care of it really well and driven right, but just my thought

[IMG]local://upfiles/96648/C5B87076C3B24DE7AF50CDDAAA3EC8E0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

+1 to most above.

It's American, it's V8, it's RWD, it's bad *** and it's mine!

Traded in a Pontiac GTP not a bad car, pretty quick with a few mods but quality was horrible only thing good was the engine, only because it was supercharged. So I jumped ship from GM and so far I'm very happy.

Let me put it this way. I'm happier with my Mustang then I ever was with the GTP even when it was new and I've had more compliments on my GT/CS in a month then I ever had on the GTP in 8 years.

I imagine the same with a G37 (Which I looked at but would have ended up being quite a bit more) it will get some compliments but the Mustang just has that look, past and heritage that people respect it and love it. Buying a Mustang is like joining a club, people will wave to you (and let you go in front) and fellow owners will go out of their way to wave, thumbs-up, rev, flash lights, what ever it maybe to say hey nice car and welcome to the club. I've never experienced that before with a car and it makes me smile every time. So not only does preform good, it makes you feel good and god know we can use all of that we can get!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Wanted a V8, 5-speed convertible with back seat for $30,000.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

2 of 3 kids now drive so I no longer needed 4 doors

Infiniti, Lexus and Saab drove AWESOME but I wanted a "perfromance car" because it was time to have fun driving again

Honda Accord V6 coupes are tough to find in manny tranny

Mazdaspeed 3 was ok but too boxy

Subaru WRX was nice but I wanted something different

i still need to haul 4 people on occasion

With rebates and deep discounts due to lackluster sales, the Mustang was just too much of a bargain to ignore. I almost bought the G35 Infiniti but the power of the stang just couldn't be ignored and it brought me back to my youth and extracting every pony out of my cars. Now, I'm also looking around for a decent used 2005-2007 sixer to make a project car. So the money i didn't spend on the G35 will go toward a project and of course, my teenaged son thinks I'm "gay" because I didn't buy the GT500.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Its in the blood..dad had a mustang, my brother restores mustangs...I just waited until the kids well all grown up to have one.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

i fell in love with the eleanor from gone in 60 seconds when i was 12.....when the body kit came out for the s197 body kit i was determined to get a mustang JUST to make it look like that car, so i did. The car is loads of fun to drive, relatively cheap to competition, plus its classsssic =)
Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

0%for 72 months was the reason i purchased the mustang. cut my payments in half.

Quick Reply: Why did you get a mustang?